Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I drag and drop the iPhoto "Package" onto an external HD and expect it's a complete iPhoto backup?

The iPhoto folder as you all know is wrapped up into a "Package" with that iPhoto Icon. One can "Show Package Contents" and see the folder-structure etc etc.

It makes perfect sense that, in addition to my Time Machine, that I could get some use out of an old 640GB extra drive, by connecting it every now and then, and dragging/dropping the iPhoto Package onto it, and copying it. Hopefully NEVER to be used, since I have Time Machine also.

I've done this in fact with an even older drive. It's actually my last-resort solution in case "everything" gets stolen someday, since I hide this external "every-six-month" drive in my basement.

THEN I heard that this method misses some meta-data and that the package as it sits is incomplete.

I've never been willing to test it.

Does anyone know for SURE?

If one's iMac, AND Time Machine gets stolen, and the above method was done, can this "Package" re-constitute an iPhoto Library on a new Mac?

Thanks all.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Struggling with each new iLife. :(

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:53 PM

1 reply

Jun 12, 2012 2:29 PM in response to AEinNE

I am not sure where you heard that, but the iPhoto Library "package" contains everything you need for your library. There are some user preferences saved in the .plist file, but they have nothing to do with the images in your library.

Note, that if this was not true, it would not be possible to split your library and open each one as necessary.

In the same vein, and to my direct experience, when I switched computers, I simply copied over the iPhoto Library, and my whole library was there, with the folders, slideshows and books.

Can I drag and drop the iPhoto "Package" onto an external HD and expect it's a complete iPhoto backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.