Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 3GS 16gb, is stuck in restore mode, downloaded and tried to do a restore multiple times. Keep getting an error The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. Unknown error occured (-1). Cannot get it out of restore mode, keeps rebooting!

My iPhone 3GS 16gb, is stuck in restore mode, downloaded and tried to do a restore multiple times. Keep getting an error The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. Unknown error occured (-1). Cannot get it out of restore mode, keeps rebooting!

I have tried to hold the "home" and "power" button to reboot

I have tried powering it off

I have tried, to unplug the cable, hold the "home" button and then plug it in.

Can't check the SN or warranty, cause it is stuck in restore mode.

Is the hard drive gone? Should there be something replaced.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1, OEM origional replacement.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:35 PM

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error1

Error 1 or -1

This may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues, and restore your device on a different known-good computer. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

Usually this is caused by your antivirus or firewall blocking iTunes access to the Internet. It can also occur if the phone is jailbroken or if the computer you are using was ever used to jailbreak an iDevice.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2012 2:35 PM in response to Rouxster

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error1

Error 1 or -1

This may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues, and restore your device on a different known-good computer. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

Usually this is caused by your antivirus or firewall blocking iTunes access to the Internet. It can also occur if the phone is jailbroken or if the computer you are using was ever used to jailbreak an iDevice.

Jun 13, 2012 2:44 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

@Lawrence, thanks mate!

However, the phone is not jailbroken and I have tried to use another computer to do the restore (dowloaded iTunes, installed it, tried an update) and the results was the same, it goes through almost till the end and then it fails. Opened up External port: 3689 Internal port: 3689 Protocol: TCP/UDP in my firewall and router.

Fingers crossed, let's see what happens 😝

Will post pictures if it fails .....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.