Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 won't restart for software update

The Mac doesn't properly restart to install software update (along with other updates), instead it goes directly to the log in for different users.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:14 PM

10 replies

Jun 12, 2012 2:17 PM in response to T.Ro15

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

Jun 20, 2012 3:31 PM in response to T.Ro15

Hi all!!

I had this problem too, and after a few days of search, I could not find any help about the problem. Also, I followed this post, but needed to solve the problem as soon as I could.

So here is how I solved it.

When I trying to install the updates, as usual, I clicked the "Install X items" button. (Where X is the number of updates to apply). Then the Mac just going to the login screen and did not apply the updates.

Then, I thought to select only normal applications, like iPhoto, iTunes, etc.. to update, and all of them were installed successfully. Then I left only the important updates that required rebooting and I choose to install one by one untill all the updates were applied.

Now the system is up to date and I have no problems.

Hope this works for you too!

Regards!

Mac OS X 10.6.8 won't restart for software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.