Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to allow or deny iTunes or any other software, access to the internet?

Why do I have to allow or deny iTunes or any other software, access to the internet?

I've had my MBP with Leopard since the summer of 2010. From then till this past spring, I have had my firewall on and when opening a program that needs internet access, such as: iTunes, Vuze, various office products, without a problem.

Since this spring, each time I open the above software, I have give permission (allow/deny) internet access. So, this isn't a prolem really, I'm just curious why this is happening.

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core I7

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

OS X 10.6.8

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:00 PM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2012 4:17 PM in response to WesleyBoudreau

Did you install Little Snitch (or Hands Off)? It will post a dialog to allow/deny apps calling out if you don't allow it to record what it is to permanently do if it sees the same call again from the same app.

Little Snitch will post a dialog with allow/deny buttons. But there is also three tab buttons; once, until quit, forever. "Until quit" is the default. So it won't nag about the same call again until that app quits but it will if you relaunch that app and the app makes the same call out. Choose "once" will allow that one call to be placed but will cause LS to nag the next time that app tries to call even if you haven't quit. Choose Forever and it will never nag again about that specific all attempt.

You need to train LS which apps you want to permit calling out and which ones you never want to allow calling out. You will of course initially be nagged quite often as you are seeing. But if you train LS to always allow the ones you want to allow eventually there will be fewer and fewer dialogs since your habits don't change that radically in the way you use your own machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.