Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2011 vs. 2012

Is there a huge difference between the 2011 and 2012 Macbook Pro models? I am considering buying a refurbished October 2011 model from Apple instead of the newest version, but I don't want to be missing out on anything amazing. I would be getting one of the 13" models, not the retina version by any means.

Thank you for the help! I'm not super savvy with tech lingo, and it's tricky for me to decipher the differences!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:15 PM

Aside from slightly faster CPU and GPU, and faster buss speeds for the RAM, I would say that the most important difference is that the newer MBPs have USB 3 connectors which means noticeably faster data transfers to and from USB 3 equipped external HDDs.

For 90% of the work an average user, the speed differences will not be noticeable. And in those other cases the time differences will be slight. 10% to 15% longer?

Having purchased two refurbished MBPs, I can attest that they are for all practical purposes of the same as a new one. Same warranty, eligible for Apple care and cosmetically the same as a 'new' one.Do the math and see what your bank account allows. With the recent price drop for the refurbished units, they represent a good value.

Ciao.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2012 4:15 PM in response to jemlunchbox

Aside from slightly faster CPU and GPU, and faster buss speeds for the RAM, I would say that the most important difference is that the newer MBPs have USB 3 connectors which means noticeably faster data transfers to and from USB 3 equipped external HDDs.

For 90% of the work an average user, the speed differences will not be noticeable. And in those other cases the time differences will be slight. 10% to 15% longer?

Having purchased two refurbished MBPs, I can attest that they are for all practical purposes of the same as a new one. Same warranty, eligible for Apple care and cosmetically the same as a 'new' one.Do the math and see what your bank account allows. With the recent price drop for the refurbished units, they represent a good value.

Ciao.

Jun 12, 2012 5:13 PM in response to jemlunchbox

I wouldn't say there's anything 'huge' or 'amazing' between the two Macs. The new MacBook Pro does have many improvements such as USB 3.0 (faster USB), SSD (faster storage and responsiveness) and new processors.

Although these are good things there are no 'groundbreaking' new features, just improvements. And chances are unless you're a gamer or someone who uses CPU/GPU intesive software, you may not even notice the improvements (besides the fact that it's thinner and starts up a little faster).

Writing this on a MacBook Pro (Early 2011)!

Aug 18, 2012 5:05 PM in response to jemlunchbox

How do you know if it s refurbished? I bought a macbook pro 15" in march, 2012, but it s "late 2011" I guess the 2012 hasn't come on the mkt yet when I got mine. But this macbook has been a disappointment, the internet is low, and freezes all the time... do you have the same problem? some pages cannot be loaded... it seems like many ppl have similar problems, my mac 2009 was so much better!!!

Macbook Pro 2011 vs. 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.