Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faulty Ram Replacement

Hi Everyone,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 with 4gb (4 x 1gb modules) ram running Snow Leopard.

Unfortunately I've recently started to see strange things happening in both OS X and Windows 7 via Boot Camp (separate hard drive).

This intern led me to look more closely at my hardware only to discover that 2 of the 1gb modules appear to be faulty.

So heres the questions...

Because I want to add another 8gb ram should I add it as 2 x 4gb or 4 x 2 gb? (gaming performance in Windows 7 is the key issue here).

Also with the 2 remaining 1gb modules, would they be best assigned to riser board A to give me a total of 10gb ram?

Finally, the best prices I've found come from these manufactures:

Crucial

Integral

Hynix

Elpida

Any recommendations as to which I should go with and configuration advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 • 4GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Nvidia 8800GT • BenQ FP241W

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 3:39 PM

11 replies

Jun 12, 2012 4:25 PM in response to David Mahony

You are correct. As long as you install in pairs you will have no problem.

I would choose the 4 GB modules. Cost today is pretty close for a pair of 2GB versus a single 4 GB module. Leaves you open slots in case more RAM would help.

Crucial (actually Crucial is Micron's retailer), Elpida, Hynix and Samsung are all top quality.

Rick

Jun 12, 2012 4:31 PM in response to David Mahony

David Mahony wrote:

Thank you for the advice but I'm sure I read somewhere that to utilise the 256 bit addressing then the ram needs to be an equal number of matched pairs in the riser boards (4 x 2gb)????

My info doesn't contradict that. The small print above the picture explicitly says that "must be installed in pairs of identical size and type". But they have to be installed according to that diagram.

Jun 13, 2012 1:51 PM in response to X423424X

Please dont misunderstand I wasn't suggesting that you were - However the diagram just gives examples of how to install but gives no mention of 256 bit addressing or how to achieve the best possible speed other than using the layouts shown.

Because I dont need to take this machine past 8/10Gb of memory for the foreseeable future, I've just purchased 4 x 2 Gb modules.

Ths just leaves me needing some clarification on how best to install them with the 2 remaining 1 Gb modules?

Do you think it would be best as:

Riser Board A:

Dim slot 1 - 2Gb

Dim slot 2 - 2Gb

Dim slot 3 - 1Gb

Dim slot 4 - 1Gb

Riser Board B:

Dim slot 1 - 2Gb

Dim slot 2 - 2Gb

Maniy thanks once again

Faulty Ram Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.