Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge all iPhoto Libraries without losing ALBUMS

😕 I want to merge all my photos into just one iPhoto Library and put it on my external hard drive without losing the Albums I've created. I have several iPhoto Libraries in various locations (iMac, MacBook, and iOmega external drive). Although I've been a Mac user for 4 years now, I've never figured out iPhoto. I don't like the "Events" so I make Albums for everything. I thought there was a 3rd party application that would do this which I thought I'd downloaded at one point but now I can't figure out what it is or if I have it. I do see that I have iPhoto Library Manager, but it sure isn't intuitive and there's nothing there that screams out a way to do what I need to do.

HELP!

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:06 PM

1 reply

Jun 12, 2012 4:49 PM in response to ascotsgranny

iPhoto Library Manager is the only application available that can merge libraries and keep albums as well as keywords, comments, places and other meta data. Keepsakes like books and slideshows will come across as albums.

The following is from the iPLM help file:

What can and can't be copied

Due to technical limitations with iPhoto, not every type of item in an iPhoto library can be copied to another library. The table below summarized what can and can't be copied in each version of iPhoto, with more details explanations of each item below. This applies to copying albums and events between libraries via drag and drop, merging libraries, and rebuilding a library.

iPhoto 6 or earlier

iPhoto 7

iPhoto 8

iPhoto 9

Photos with basic metadata (rating, keywords, date, description, title)

Unsupported

Yes

Yes

Yes

Modified versions of photos paired with originals

Unsupported

Yes

Yes

Yes

Individual photo edits (e.g. cropping, filters, color adjustments, etc.)

Unsupported

No

Yes

Yes

Places data

Unsupported

n/a

Yes

Yes

Faces data

Unsupported

n/a

Yes

Yes

Regular albums

Unsupported

Yes

Yes

Yes

Folder albums

Unsupported

Yes

Yes

Yes

Smart albums

Unsupported

Yes

Yes

Yes

Events

Unsupported

Yes

Yes

Yes

Keepsake items (books, slideshows, etc.)

Unsupported

No

No

No

MobileMe galleries

Unsupported

iPhoto auto-syncs

iPhoto auto-syncs

iPhoto auto-syncs

Facebook/Flickr galleries

Unsupported

n/a

No

iPhoto auto-syncs

OT

How to merge all iPhoto Libraries without losing ALBUMS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.