Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set gmail as my default email program?

Hi, I have attempted to follow the instructions to change my default email program. However, when I open "mail" and go to general preferences, it gives me the options of selecting from an application downloaded on my computer. I want to use gmail as my default email program. But it isn't an ap on my computer, it's online. So how do I set gmail as my default email program? Thanks very much!

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:03 PM

If you mean set it in your browser, you can't As you already pointed out, gmail is not a program on your computer it is a web site. You need to get your gmail account into an email client, such as Mail, on your computer. Then set your default email client to Mail, which in effect will be the same as using gmail since Mail is set up with your gmail account.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2012 5:03 PM in response to Connirae

If you mean set it in your browser, you can't As you already pointed out, gmail is not a program on your computer it is a web site. You need to get your gmail account into an email client, such as Mail, on your computer. Then set your default email client to Mail, which in effect will be the same as using gmail since Mail is set up with your gmail account.

How to set gmail as my default email program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.