Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hooking up to home theater, xbox & STB

I have an HDTV with ONE HDMI input.

I also have Apple TV, Xbox 360, a cable STB & an hometheater audio unit called a soundbar (Vizio)

The have a Vizio sound bar this is supposed to connect to the TV (in) via HDMI (out), thus I cannot hook up the Apple TV via my TV's HDMI (in).

the soundbar has two added HDMI INputs for connection other devices... so I am thinking I can go

TV HDMI IN to

Soundbar HDMI OUT

Sound bar HDMI IN1 to apple TV

Sound bar HDMI IN2 to Xbox 360

Sound bar Optical to STB

Will this configuration work?

How else would someone with multiple devices connect apple tv?

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:04 PM

2 replies

Jun 12, 2012 5:11 PM in response to goedeubu

Welcome to the Apple community.

Generally speaking all your source devices should be passed through the sound centre and then on to the TV, which is pretty much as you suggest. My only question would be your STB, which I presume stands for set top box, is this an audio device only, because in the configurations you suggest, it is only going to an audio report.

Jun 12, 2012 7:07 PM in response to Winston Churchill

ok, it appears as though my HDMI on my TV in not "ARC" so I cannot connect the soundbar to the TV that way. I have to do so via co-ax, which both the TV and and sound bar have.

that said, then I leave my STB connected as it already is, directly to the tv and the Xbox connected, as it is already to the TV...

then I guess I can connect the apple tv via HDMI, since I suppoed "ARC" is not necessary.

this way I guess then the sound bar just acts as the tv speakers, but I have to choose each source as I use it (xbox, stb, apple tv) correct?

I'm trying to understand why in some instances these things suggest to connect devices directly to them and in other, they do not... I feel like I am missing something....

thanks for you input!

hooking up to home theater, xbox & STB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.