Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking on user does not bring up password prompt in Fast Switch

I have two users on my mac mini running OS X 10.7.4, both are administrators. When I click on my username in the upper right hand corner of the screen and select the second user, I can type in the password and "rotate" on over to the other user. However, from the second user account when I try and go back to the first user via the same process, no prompt appears when clicking on the user name from the drop down in the top right of the screen. Any solution?

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:56 PM

3 replies

Jun 12, 2012 6:45 PM in response to icarr4077

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Try the action again. Post any messages that appear in the Console window – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out by search-and-replace in a text editor before posting.

Jun 13, 2012 4:02 PM in response to icarr4077

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode* and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

*Note: If FileVault is enabled under Mac OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Clicking on user does not bring up password prompt in Fast Switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.