Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Contacts sync errors

We keep encountering Contacts sync errors. We are syncing two Macs/Lion and two iPads. There is no pattern as to where the correct contact entry was created - could by any of the four devices. We don't create on icloud.com, only use that for troubleshooting and manual repair.

I am 90% sure that all of these errors are of the form [change made to device] but [no change made to iCloud.com]. If the dbms on iCloud.com doesn't register the change it will obviously not be propagated.

Repair tip: but only if the "good contact" is on a Mac. Export the contact as a VCF to say desktop (only one works, no multiples). Then drag the "good VCF" onto the Safari/iCloud/Contacts window - slow and careful until you see the + cursor. Drop it there - audit success by watching for "Importing..." in the status bar.

Q1: Is there a way to generate a "differences report", at least pairwise - say Mac Pro vs. iCloud.com? This problem has been happening for at least a month - too long to rely on failing memories as to what changes have been made.

Q2: What about a Contacts report sorted by modification date (mod dates seem to have gone away)?

I've examined all of the Apple iCloud support articles - these are good for initial troubleshooting, but do not apply to this problem.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Apple Cinema HD

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2012 12:44 AM

I am 90% sure I have resolved the cause of these sync errors. It was because our MacBook Pro and Mac Pro both had Address Book/Preferences/General/Default Account set to the local Mac contacts.

I have now changed the Default Account to iCloud. I hope this still works OK when we do not have Internet access (common as we live on our boat in the South Pacific).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2012 12:44 AM in response to Steve Darden

I am 90% sure I have resolved the cause of these sync errors. It was because our MacBook Pro and Mac Pro both had Address Book/Preferences/General/Default Account set to the local Mac contacts.

I have now changed the Default Account to iCloud. I hope this still works OK when we do not have Internet access (common as we live on our boat in the South Pacific).

Random Contacts sync errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.