Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot read contents of iPhone.

Updated both iPhone and iTunes and now receive the following message:

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "************ iPhone". Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.

I don't want to restore to the factory settings. I am afraid of losing everything I have on my iPhone.

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:27 PM

You don't have a choice. The contents of the phone can not be read. You willl have to restore. You will only lose what hasn't been backed up/synced recently. You do sync/back up on a regular basis, right?

9 replies

Dec 5, 2012 8:01 PM in response to MzElaneous

In my case at least, I knew it was not a hardware problem because iPhoto opened and read photos off the phone with no problem. This link gave me the hint: <http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729191-itunes-cannot-read-contents-iphone.html>. Using iExplorer or iFunbox, find a file called Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB or Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesCDB. In my case it was the latter, and it was 0 bytes in length. An interrupted or failed sync must have left it there. Deleting it, with iTunes closed of course, allowed iTunes to see the phone and sync normally with it when it was next opened. Hope this helps somebody.

Best,

David

Cannot read contents of iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.