Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i make a tilde ~ on my macbook pro mid-2009 mfg. keyboard?, how do i make a tilde ~ on my macbook pro mid-2009 mfg. keyboard?

How do i make a tilde ~ on my mid-2009 macbook pro keyboard?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:51 PM

Hi b,

Does option-n not work?

7 replies

Jun 13, 2012 10:06 AM in response to bamacoo

ok guys, i found out what the problem is. seems like this is a french keyboard, and the tilde key is actually the shift + the less than and greater than key which is exactly next to the left shift key.

is there an easier way (other than trying to return the mac) to enable me to understand which keys are which?

thanks

bamacoo

Jun 13, 2012 4:33 PM in response to bamacoo

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard tab > Show keyboard . . . in menu bar > click on the icon that appeared in the menu bar > click on Show Keyboard Viewer > a keyboard will appear on screen > hold down the shift key or fn key or option key and watch the keyboard change; when you want to use a certain key you see, go into a Word doc (or whatever), hold down the key you were holding down and press the desired key on the keyboard to get that character.

how do i make a tilde ~ on my macbook pro mid-2009 mfg. keyboard?, how do i make a tilde ~ on my macbook pro mid-2009 mfg. keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.