Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The fan in my MacBook Air is constantly running, especially if I'm streaming video content. Should I be concerned by this?

I use my Mac to do alot of online movie and TV watching. I usually watch at least one or two movies or TV programs a night. Whenever I watch anything these days the internal fan starts up and typically stays on until the streaming ends. Should I be concerned by this? Is there anything other than steaming less that I can do to lessen the need for the fan? Has anyone else noticed this issue in their Macbook Air? My Mac is about 8 months old. Thanks

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:07 AM

The fan is there to cool the cpu when it is under a heavy load.

Video streaming is a heavy load.

If the fan didn't speed up the cpu would overheat and shut the machine off.

It's not an issue. It's the way all computers work.

2 replies

Jun 14, 2012 11:28 AM in response to Retired Engineer

I appreciate your quick response. I recognize that 'it's the way all computers work'... it's just that - and I didn't make this clear - the fan never came on in the first 6 months of use now it seems like it's always on, but I hear you: streaming is a heavy load so the fan comes on and cools the cpu. Question answered, thanks much.

The fan in my MacBook Air is constantly running, especially if I'm streaming video content. Should I be concerned by this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.