Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Retina MacBook Pro RAM User-upgradeable?

Ivy Bridge, just like Sandy Bridge, supports RAM upgrades all the way to 32 GB. However, Apple seems to be limiting this to 16 GB. Websites like Crucial will sell you a 32GB RAM package for the same price as Apple offers you a 16GB ram upgrade. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Will the Retina MacBook Pro be able to upgrade the RAM separately say after a year or so of owning it? I have heard that the RAM is soldered to the board, but there are also indications that there is an upgrade tab on the top right-hand corner of the RAM card location.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 11:50 PM

11 replies

Jun 13, 2012 9:10 AM in response to SOJHA

The battery doesn't even appear to be one unit. It looks like it's 6 different smaller batteries.

Notice the SSD being in a mini SATA slot, and having a screw holding it down. It will be replaceable, but we'll see when or if any parts come available.

Apple would have to make the battery and SSD replaceable, as those are the two parts that will go bad eventually. They don't want Apple Stores having to replace entire machines because those go out.

Jun 13, 2012 9:37 AM in response to jws1982

Also, on the RAM, Apple may have soldered it straght to the board. But, it still probably follows the same connection pattern as having two SODIMM slots, like they had before. I don't believe 16gb SODIMM chips are out yet, so that's why they only offer 8GB (2x4GB) and 16GB (2x8GB) setups.

Personally, I don't see any need to put the memory straight on the logic board, only to force people to upgrade directly through Apple. DIMM slots are about the thinnest things out there, and there appears to have been plenty of room to put two of them in there.

Aug 6, 2012 10:24 PM in response to Kliffy

Sorry there is no way to change or upgrade the RAM. This is what Apple says when you want to buy a MBPR in Memory section:

"Note that every MacBook Pro with Retina display comes with 8GB of memory built into the computer. If you think you may need 16GB of memory in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase, because memory cannot be upgraded later in this model."

Feb 28, 2013 9:51 PM in response to Kliffy

Kliffy wrote:

What if i took my Retina MacBook Pro after a year or so to apple genius bar to upgrade Ram they will say no?! I know Its not user upgradeable but even apple won't upgrade it?!

Right now there is no facility anywhere in the world, not even Apple, that will upgrade the RAM of a Retina MacBook Pro. If there is a way, it would be risky. If you ever think you'll need more RAM, order it with the maximum from the start.

Is the Retina MacBook Pro RAM User-upgradeable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.