Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating Data Between Two MacBook Airs

Hello All,

I am getting the new MacBook Air today (Mid 2012).

I currently have the Late 2010 11" MBA.

I have a WD NAS for documents, photos, videos, and other content.

I also have a Time Machine backup on a USB external hard drive.

I'd like to get the pros' recommendation when setting up the new MBA and migrating my data. I would prefer not to do a full restore from TM backup so as not to transfer (if any) bad files into the fresh OS. With that said, I really would like to to start from scratch. I am not too worried about documents because I use both the cloud and my NAS to permanently store most files. However, my dilemma is with installed applications and all my current settings. I have applications that were not installed via the Mac App Store and those, including their settings and licenses, I would like transferred to the new MBA. Actually, even the installed apps from the MAS, I'd like to keep the settings.

If restoring from TM backup is the only or best way, I won't oppose doing that too.

Everybody's expert advise will be very appreciated.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 5:24 AM

Congrats on your new Air!! When the new air first starts, setup assistant allows you to migrate from the TM backup. The is some granularity so it not really a "full restore". Pondini has a great site on this issue an more.

Here's the Migration link:

http://pondini.org/OSX/Setup.html

1 reply

Migrating Data Between Two MacBook Airs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.