Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use my .mac address?

Dear all,

My main email is a gmail address but I would like to start using my Apple mail more frequently. I have moved services to iCloud. I use OS X Lion for my Macbook and iOS 5 for my iPhone. My apple account is still myname@mac.com and this address is still listed as "verified" in account settings. When MobileMe came along I mainly used the "@me" affix but I still occasionally sent mails using @mac, selecting it in from the drop down menu in Mail.

Recently I tried the same, selected to send from myname@mac.com but got the following error message:

User uploaded file

And when I tried to sent an email to myself from my gmail I received the following error message:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

myname@mac.com

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: myname@mac.com (state 13)."

The myname@me.com works as it should, operating normally in iCloud. Is there any way I could use the ".mac" affix? I now think that this makes for a more handsome address than the more egocentric "@me".

Thank you very much for reading.

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 4:04 AM

5 replies

Jun 13, 2012 5:35 AM in response to lightsomely_up

same is happening to me its driving me nuts.

everyone i know sends to username @mac.com

but when i reply i now have to change the outbound email address to @me.com

or

i get a tiny message which pops up for less than half a second, followed by the original message (not sent), even greter

is the problem that the undelying (Lost / Hidden) message seems to prevent you from closing the email, however the underlying message is just plain missing. This means i have to close email down and restart to clear the missing message.

Any Clues guys?

Jun 28, 2012 10:55 AM in response to lightsomely_up

lightsomely_up wrote:

I would like to get confirmation from someone who actually knows, but from what I can gather from other threads it seems as if Apple has simply terminated the use of .mac within iCloud. Apparently I can only use my @me address from now on.

.mac addresses (well, mine and Rogers at least) still work, I have no idea why yours does not but Apple have not "terminated the use of .mac within iCloud"

Can't use my .mac address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.