8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2013 10:04 AM by Jean H07
Jane Wightwick Level 1 Level 1

I can't seem to add a bookmark in ibook author. I have followed all the instructions: highlighted the text and then opened inspector, but add bookmark feature remains disabled (grey) here and on the main menu. Should be very straightforward and I have managed everything else. Am I doing something wrong?

Mac OS X (10.5)
Reply by MichiHenning on Jun 13, 2012 7:27 AM Helpful

All the templates provided by Apple have a main text flow, where the of your book's text goes. That's the place where hyperlinks work. They will not work anywhere else. You cannot have a hyperlink originating or targeting anything in a disconnected text box, image caption, glossary entry, and so on.

Michi.

All replies

• MichiHenning Level 4 Level 4

Are you trying to add a bookmark to a disconnected text box, caption, table cell, heading, glossary entry, or the like? If so, it won't work. Hyperlinks in IBA work only if source and target of a link are in the main text flow.

Michi.

• K T Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.publishing
    Publishing

What, exactly, are you trying to bookmark?

• Jane Wightwick Level 1 Level 1

It seems my problem may be that the ibook I am creating is a complex language learning title. There is no "text flow" as such. Everything is an isolated box, gallery, review widget, audio etc. and all laid out to be fixed on a particular page.

Maybe this means I should be using hyperlinks and just link to a particular element on that page?

All the templates provided by Apple have a main text flow, where the body of your book's text goes. That's the place where hyperlinks work. They will not work anywhere else. You cannot have a hyperlink originating or targeting anything in a disconnected text box, image caption, glossary entry, and so on.

Michi.

• Jane Wightwick Level 1 Level 1

Maybe something for version 2!

Thanks for all your help.

• rah.e Level 1 Level 1

I have tried bookmarking an item further down a chapter that is apart the main text flow, but I hyperlinked it back to text in a text box towards the beginning of the chapter and it worked, however when I try to bookmark something in the text box, it doesn't work. This seems a bit contradictory to what this discussion is saying.

Are you sure you cannot link anything outside of the main text flow given this exception I found?

You may have found an exception, yes. I didn't try all possible combinations of source and target location. But, in general, hyperlinks are restricted to the main texrt flow. Won't work in figure captions, glossary entries, and the like.

Michi.

• Jean H07 Level 1 Level 1

I found that if you just type www.WHATEVER.com into the caption, it will perform as a hyperlink. (WHATEVER being the name of the website) I haven't found a way to edit so the visible link is just WHATEVER, so it's not pretty, but it will send you to the site. (This is just for hyperlinks; I haven't used bookmarks)