Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for tutorial w/details of "About" gear icon in an app?

Our Development department is creating apps for our clients. Each one has the standard "gear icon" at lower right that you tap to get tips about using the iPad. I have a client that wants a more detailed description than the brief instructions now in each of those tips (Reader, Social, About, Links, Preferences). Ironically, I don't get paid enough to afford an iPad, so I can't explain all that to him. I've only occasionally used our office iPad to quickly check this or that.

Is there an online tutorial somewhere that covers his request? I already tried Google with no luck.

Windows 7

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:39 AM

4 replies

Jun 13, 2012 6:53 AM in response to okieseeker

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question - Since this is a user to user forum and you have a developer question, you would probably be off seeking assistance in the forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/developer_forums

If you are asking about how to implement something into the settings, then you would be better off in the developer forum ....

Message was edited by: Demo

Jun 13, 2012 6:54 AM in response to okieseeker

While the gear icon is fairly standard in appearance across apps, it's functions are not. Depends entirely on the app and what the developer has chosen to include or needs for the app. There really isn't a standard explanation for it above the fact that it is used to access configuration items. The best source for what you are looking for is the dev team. They made the decision as to what is under it.

Jun 13, 2012 9:32 AM in response to okieseeker

All of your replies helped answer my question. I can pull answers to my client's questions by looking at what tabs our developers put in settings, and beefing up a description of what each does with info I get from the dev gurus and also the User Guide (which by the way will be handy elsewhere). Sorry about dropping this into the wrong forum; going too fast!

Looking for tutorial w/details of "About" gear icon in an app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.