10 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 3:29 PM by hbritger
hbritger Level 1 Level 1

When I hit the arrow to play the video, the screen goes black where the video was and the arrow has turned into a pause icon.  This is the first time I have had trouble playing videos.  Has there been a recent update that would affect video playback on an iPad?  I know my MacBook Pro had an update concerning security updates to flash video playback in the last couple days....

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 5.1
Reply by ekellythepadawan on Jun 13, 2012 7:32 PM Helpful
That's probably why! Try viewing the video in the Facebook app
Reply by Phil0124 on May 21, 2013 12:48 PM Helpful
Videos embedded in the Fcebook website are embedded using Flash. Wether they were uploaded with an iPhone or a PC, Facebook uses the flash player to embed them and let you play them. The source is not relevant.  If you want to view videos, you need to use the Facebook App, as it decodes the videos itself rather than relying on the flash player. You can sue it just to view the videos.  There is no way around this from the iPad site. Facebook would need to use compatible HTML 5 video containers for it to work in Safari on the iPad/iPhone/iPod..

All replies

• Kilgore-Trout Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

If the videos are indeed uploaded as Flash, you will not be able to view them in Safari. The Facebook app might work, not sure.

The Flash update on your MBP has nothing to do with this.

• hbritger Level 1 Level 1

The videos are uploaded from an iPhone so I'm guessing adobe flash doesn't enter into it.  I am able to play video from other apps I found later today... Looks like it's just facebook giving me problems.

• ekellythepadawan Level 1 Level 1

From what you're describing, your iPad isn't streaming the video from Facebook. Are you viewing in safari or through the App?

I'm viewing in Safari.

• ekellythepadawan Level 1 Level 1

That's probably why! Try viewing the video in the Facebook app

So you might think, but I have preferred this method for looking at facebook since 4/10 when I got my first iPad.  I like the view and functionality better when following "view the post" from a notification email.  And, the videos worked in the past.

I did try it through the FB app and I can view it, but something has changed viewing in Safari...

• ismeValerie Level 1 Level 1

I had same problem but downloaded Puffin web browser app and flash works fine with that

Valerie

• Kilgore-Trout Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

hbritger wrote:

So you might think, but I have preferred this method for looking at facebook since 4/10 when I got my first iPad.  I like the view and functionality better when following "view the post" from a notification email.  And, the videos worked in the past.

I did try it through the FB app and I can view it, but something has changed viewing in Safari...

As previously stated, if the games are flash-based, you will NOT be able to play them in Safari.

• Phil0124 Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Videos embedded in the Fcebook website are embedded using Flash. Wether they were uploaded with an iPhone or a PC, Facebook uses the flash player to embed them and let you play them. The source is not relevant.

If you want to view videos, you need to use the Facebook App, as it decodes the videos itself rather than relying on the flash player. You can sue it just to view the videos.

There is no way around this from the iPad site. Facebook would need to use compatible HTML 5 video containers for it to work in Safari on the iPad/iPhone/iPod..

Thanks Phil0124,

A very coherent explanation of why videos from iPhones won't play on an iPhone or iPad.  I will remember to switch to the facebook mobile app for videos.