Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 9:57 AM by Fred Davenport
Fred Davenport Level 1 Level 1
expertise.macosx
Mac OS X

Will the new iCloud be able to:

Allow me to share/backup/view all my files on all my devices.

Use a public folder to share with staff, friends and family like Mobile Me could do.

Thx much

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

No and no, I'm afraid. You can back up your iPhone using iCloud, but not your Mac. There is no general file storage and no Public folder. For these you will need to find a third-party alternative: this page examines some options:

http://rfwilmut.net/migrate3

• Fred Davenport Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Thx Roger,

I was very afraid that was your answer.

Sad, very sad.

It appears that iCloud is MUCH less than MM and I wonder why anyone really needs it.

Apple has moved us all to share data amongst all our devices, but does NOT allow us to store or back up this data.

Makes no sense.

I will take a look at the article you suggested.

• pvonk Level 6 Level 6

Storing a backup of a computer can be very costly for the storage company (Apple).  They are kind enough to give a free account up to 5 GB which is plenty for most users to back up their iOS devices and store other data like contacts, email, etc.  For a Mac, you should be using Time Machine for a local backup.  Ever back up a computer to a cloud service (like Mozy)?  It takes weeks to get the initial backup done.  Imagine trying to restore most of your data on a new mac!  It'll be out of service for several weeks.  A local backup is the way to go, then you can add a cloud backup if you want as a second level of protection.

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

PV,

Thx for your commercial on Apple's iCloud.

Been and Apple user since 1977 and iCloud STINKS!!!!

Let me be clear....I spent $100-125 for MobileMe and would be very, very, very happy to continue to spend that and more for storage/backup/sharing of my files/photos/videos on iCloud.

It is now much worse than Mobile Me, yes Mobile Me was great!!

Very, very sorry that iCloud is very, very bad.

Apple has done a great job providing us with many devices to share our files and documents, but Apple's iCloud does not allow us to share/back-up/view our files.

This is sad, very, very, very sad.

• pvonk Level 6 Level 6

iCloud has some features that improve over MobileMe (photo stream for one), but drops others as you know.  But look into Dropbox as an iDisk replacement - it works much better and is free up to 5gB before paying for more space.  Dropbox is far superior to iDisk as most experienced users have reported here.  Perhaps Apple didn't want to compete with them and other similar services.

• cuckoomusic Level 1 Level 1

Isn't dropbox a pretty good alternative? You could probably set up some automated backup script to help you achieve what you want.

If it counts, Apple did try to buy Dropbox after all. ;-)

• Csound1 Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Fred Davenport wrote:

Thx Roger,

I was very afraid that was your answer.

Sad, very sad.

It appears that iCloud is MUCH less than MM and I wonder why anyone really needs it.

If you don't need contacts and calendars, mail and notes etc you probably don't need iCloud, but that would put you in a minority of users.

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

pvonk wrote:

iCloud has some features that improve over MobileMe (photo stream for one), but drops others as you know. But look into Dropbox as an iDisk replacement - it works much better and is free up to 5gB before paying for more space.  Dropbox is far superior to iDisk as most experienced users have reported here.  Perhaps Apple didn't want to compete with them and other similar services.

The Dropbox website says 2GB free, where are you seeing 5?

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

AS Csound1 pointed out:

Safari001.jpg

If you send referrals you can increase that 2 GB.

OT

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Sugarsync. 5GB free, referrals can increase that to 32GB. And you can sync any or all folders, not just 1 specific folder.

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Photo stream stinks..does nothing but suck up space on all our devices. Why would anyone want to look at hundreds of thumbnail photos that are 1/2" x 1/2". Turned it off a few days after I turned it on.

iCloud is a HUGE disappointment, worse than Apple Maps!

expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Thx OT,

Have had Dropbox for quite a while, cuz iCloud is not usable for any file storage/sharing.

Dropbox works great!

• Imp68 Level 4 Level 4

I like photo stream.  It's nice being able to turn on my Apple TV a display the images taken on my mobile device with having to do a single thing.  They're just there.

• Old Toad Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

There's not just thumbnails.  They are full sized photos created by the iPhone that you can also automatifcally import into your iPhoto library.

iP11photostreampref.PNG

That's how I automatically import my iPhone photos into my iPhoto Library.  It's all done wirelessly and automatically. Once in the library they can be viewed full size like any other photo.

Previous 1 2 Next