Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do i find software update path

I have a macbook bound to AD and OD

When we run software updates it pulls from our OD Server and on the update window it shows

the Name of the OD server. However on some systems it shows the OD name but still downloads

from the Internet.

I would like to find out where I can see the actual software update path to so that I can confirm

what the path actually is despite what it says in the update window

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 5:39 AM

Hi

Assuming MCX there are a number of ways you can do this. One way is to use System Profiler. Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info > System Report. Scroll down the left hand side bar and select Managed Client.

If there's no MCX involved inspect the URL in /Libray/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and see what's listed.

HTH?

Tony

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2012 5:39 AM in response to MorphZan

Hi

Assuming MCX there are a number of ways you can do this. One way is to use System Profiler. Apple Menu > About this Mac > More Info > System Report. Scroll down the left hand side bar and select Managed Client.

If there's no MCX involved inspect the URL in /Libray/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist and see what's listed.

HTH?

Tony

Jun 14, 2012 8:44 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Hi Antonio

Many thanks for that - was a great help.

Was wondering if you could confirm for me.

When I did an update on a machine that was not bound to AD and OD the SoftwareUpdate.plist shows as empty.

When I check a machine that is bound it contains the path of our OD server.

If a machine is updating from the internet should that plist file be empty?

Jun 14, 2012 1:42 PM in response to MorphZan

Hi

"If a machine is updating from the internet should that plist file be empty?"

Yes.

If the client machine is not bound to OD but SUS is running on the Mac Server then the command outlined on Pages 88-89 in the Admin Manual:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/SystemImage_v10.6.pdf

issued on the client machine will cause the client machine to 'get' its updates from the Mac Server and not the Internet. The Manual is for 10.6 but will work for 10.7. If you apply the command the plist should then contain the URL of the Mac Server.

If the client machine is bound to AD & OD then you can apply a User, Group or Hardware MCX (your choice) for Software Update which points to your Mac Server. You don't need to be bound to AD for this to work. As long as the client machine is bound to OD and DNS is working as it should be, this will work. Again you won't see anything in the plist stored in /Library/Preferences. MCX plists are stored in /Library/Managed Preferences.

HTH?

Tony

Jun 15, 2012 4:54 AM in response to MorphZan

Hi

What you're describing appears to be slightly confusing? Simply binding a client machine to OD does not 'guarantee' that client looks at the SUS for its updates. You must apply the appropriate MCX at your chosen level. It's still not clear from what you've posted that you've done this? However you do say the Serve'rs FQDN is displayed in the Software Update GUI. All I can think of is the SUS may not be running or having a problem (not unusual as there are problems with updates coming from Apple at the moment) and that client machines are defaulting back to the Internet for their updates? However this is not behaviour I've seen before? With a SUS MCX applied it either works or it does not and the client machine won't look anywhere else unless you tell it to. I've not tested this yet.

HTH?

Tony

Where do i find software update path

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.