Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stream songs that I have purchased on iTunes from my website?

I've written a music instruction book, included examples of lots of popular songs. I've purchased all the tunes, wondering if I can set up a Podcast or something like it on the book's website. I'll be incorporating iTunes Link Maker on my site to make it easy for people to purchase the songs themselves, but would like to be able to play them from the site if possible. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:49 AM

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html > USAGE RULES

USAGE RULES

(i) You shall be authorized to use iTunes Products only for personal, noncommercial use.

Podcasts and website use is not personal.

9 replies

Jun 13, 2012 7:53 AM in response to Limnos

That was quick, thanks!

Not quite sure if this falls into 'commercial use' or not. I suppose it could be considered 'advertising' for the book, but the intent is to encourage people to purchase the songs from iTunes. As a copyright owner, I'm not interested in infringing on anyone else's. Is there a way to license the songs for this sort of use?

DS

Jun 13, 2012 8:20 AM in response to Duke Sharp

Legally Podcasts are looked at as mechanical copies.

Any podcast with any music in it that is available for sale in iTunes or from any of the major record labels will get pulled from the iTunes podcasts section.

Don not include ANY music that is not "podsafe" in your podcast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podsafe

Again putting in any music you purchased from iTunes in a podcast WILL get your show removed from iTunes.

Rob W

podCast411

Jun 13, 2012 8:36 AM in response to Duke Sharp

Radio world is completely different than podcasting. Radio stations track and report their song usage and pay fees based on that.

But for Podcasting - even if you want to get the licenses to play music and do it legally - you can't - All the needed licenses do not exist. You could pay BMI, SESAC and ASCAP for licenses. And also pay Harry Fox Agency $0.091 per song <5 minutes per download - and besided being broke - you could still get sued.

Online radio has the Sound Exchange license they pay to allow them to "stream" music. But that does not cover and will never cover podcasts - as podcasts are downloads and in the eyes of the law (DMCA) a download is a mechanical copy.

So again - unless the music is specifically "Podsafe" do NOT use it.

Also mashups - they are just as illegal and forbidden as the songs by themselves. Actually Mashups get you into more issues as there is now multiple songs whose copyright you are violating.

Regards,

Rob W

podCast411

Can I stream songs that I have purchased on iTunes from my website?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.