Skip navigation

Apple Core Foundation

560 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 10:47 PM by mark133 RSS
mark133 Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 13, 2012 11:42 AM

As a beginner using Xcode, it looks like mastery of the entire core foundation is not really an option. It seems that one individual really has to focus on one area of the core foundation to really master all the details.

Is that a correct judgment, or am I underestimating the difficulty involved with using all the avialable objects for a multi-core application efficiently?

iMac
  • pvonk Level 6 Level 6 (13,670 points)
    Jun 13, 2012 2:00 PM (in response to mark133)

I'm fairly new to Apple programming, but spent years working with the Microsoft Foundation Class (C++) and Java's Swing classes.  I learned many of the "basic" objects that one frequently uses (menus, windows, buttons, text fields, etc.) and with time I'd learn "deeper" topics as needed (like Swing's and MFC's tables).

• etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (23,890 points)
    Jun 13, 2012 4:12 PM (in response to mark133)

Only learn what you need to. Larry Wall says the three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubris. That means you do as little as you can to accomplish what you need. Always choose the fastest path to getting something working. Don't worry about mastering it all. Just have confidence that you can figure it out.

Also, Core Foundation is a C language interface. You would have to have very specific needs to use that directly. Almost everything you need is in Cocoa. If you are spending time coding something in Core Foundation when you don't need to, then you are lacking two out of three virtues of a programmer.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.