Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Capsule on college network?

I have a large media library which I want to take with me to college next year. I am planning on buying a 2TB Time Capsule for the backups and storage space. I will not be able to be connected to the time capsule's 802.11n connection from anywhere except my dorm room, but is it possible to share (and definitely encrypt) the time capsule over the whole network so I can access it anywhere on campus? The time capsule itself will be connected to the campus's internet via ethernet cable. I'm unsure as to the port forwarding capabilities of the network. Would it just make more sense to leave the time capsule at home and share it over the internet?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 11:48 AM

1 reply

Jun 13, 2012 1:32 PM in response to nwngeek212

Check what your College says..

Normally it will ban routers on the network. People who don't know what they are doing will connect it to LAN and supply dhcp back to the network. This is a receipe for disaster.

As well as wireless... just imagine wireless router in every room in a college. The wireless will be such a disaster. Every single room will compete for 3 available channels on 2.4ghz.

WAN access to the TC will depend on a huge number of factors.

Do you get a static ip address from the uni system?

Do you get access via standard ports.. what ports are blocked by the uni system?

Here things get really messy. If the uni gives you a private IP on their system.. then it is unlikely you can reach it anyway. And they are more than likely to block anything but a few standard ports to protect their system.

A big hard disk in the computer and a large external drive are probably going to get you a lot further than messing with the uni network.

Ask students who are there now.. during Open Day or whatever ask them what they do.

See if there is a computer club.. the geeks will know.

Using Time Capsule on college network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.