Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't update software that someone else installed through Mac App Store

Mac App Store: On my Mac, someone installed Xcode from the App Store, using their own account.

Now I can't update it. After removing it, I can't install it.

When I try, I get this alert:

You have updates available for other accounts

Sign in to [other person's email address] to update applications for that account.

I don't have information about the other person's account and am unable to obtain it.

Even if I could get their account information, I want to get the software under my account, not the other person's account.

I looked at multiple discussions about resolving this, but every one I saw was about problems involving only one account.

Mac OS X 10.7.4, App Store Version 1.1.2 (92.8)

🙂 After reading similar discussions, I thought I should add this: Unless you have a time machine for rent, telling me not to have someone else install apps on my mac isn't going to help here.

Sooner or later this will happen to others. A solution is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 12:47 PM

14 replies

Jun 13, 2012 2:19 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. So you have a time machine for me?

Your reply is just a rewording of my question: "You no longer can use the software that was installed under a different Apple ID."

I'm looking for a solution to that issue. I would like to use, purchase (although this one is free), update the software without erasing my hard drive and reinstalling Mac OS.

Jun 13, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks, Carolyn!

That, however, was one of the many discussions that I already looked at.

I tried it, and it didn't work, but I'm not surprised, because it's a different situation.

In those situations, according to the writers, only one account had ever been used in the App Store.

In my case, the app was installed by a legitimate separate account.

Imagine that someone uses your computer, and installs something from the App Store that they think you would like. They do it using their own account.

Later, that person moves away with no forwarding address, or dies, or for some reason you can no longer contact them.

Time passes, and you want to update the app. Failing that, you want to purchase it outright yourself.

I can't update it or purchase it. That's my situation.

Jun 13, 2012 2:57 PM in response to Kappy

Apologies. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

I have tried that several times: Open App Store in Applications folder and sign in with your Apple ID and password. Locate the software you want, purchase and download.

I am signed in with my Apple ID and password. The software was purchased with another person's Apple ID.

I can't purchase it. I can't update it.

When I try to purchase that software, the button says "Update" not "Purchase."

If I click Update, I get either this alert (if I'm signed in):

To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it.

or this one (if I am not signed in):

Sign in to [other person's email address] to update applications for that account.

Jun 13, 2012 3:06 PM in response to Kappy

I really do appreciate your efforts, and I apologize if I don't sound like it.

I searched with Finder (with the options System files are included, File visibility invisible or invisible), and with Find Any File. External drives are removed, and all volumes are included in the search.

I did that long before coming here, including plists. Rebooted after everything was trashed. I probably didn't explain that very well. I knew to remove any copies of it, and installers, etc.

from the original post: " After removing it, I can't install it."

Aug 11, 2012 9:45 AM in response to FrankTower

I had the same problem, i seemed to have growl registered as installed in my updates registered to my friends account despite the fact i had uninstalled the preference pane when i installed mountain lion and deleted all preferences & support files in ~/Library/. Much like you i could not get rid of the update for the same reasons, despite the fact it was no longer installed.

It turned out the aforementioned friend had put his growl.app into our dropbox share and the moment i deleted it, the update vanished! hope this helps some people 🙂

Aug 14, 2012 9:01 PM in response to FrankTower

Okay so my situation is quite similar. I had an ex-employee using a company macbook pro (which I now use) and he downloaded two programs that I also use (imovie & iphoto) regularly. I deleted his user profile and when updates came in for imovie and iphoto I wasn't able to download them. Here's my friend's advice which has worked for me:

Friend:

Heya

This is a big problem in corporate networks with Macs and iOS devices. When you let an employee install stuff onto a corporate machine, and they leave, those programs actually belong to the employee. They're keyed to the account of the employee. They can really go somewhere else and download those apps to their new device. So you're kind of stuck. You'll have to delete them and re-download.

Until Apple fixes this, you should probably get a company AppleID and use that to install things on business-owned machines.

.j

Me:

Is there an easy way to uninstall imovie and iphoto?

Friend: Drag to the Trash. That's it.

I've done this and used my copy of iLife to put the programs back on my computer. I ran Software Update and it's now downloading the original updates I couldn't use. I hope this helps.

Jason

Aug 22, 2012 6:32 AM in response to FrankTower

I'm facing exactly the same problem and I can't get rid of update alerts from App Store related to Xcode.

The only option I get is "update", but I didn't install it in the first place. So clicking update is a no-go.

If an app can be updated only by the original purchaser, tha app shouldn't show up at both my "Purchases" list and my "Updates" list, don't you think?

Aug 23, 2012 10:24 AM in response to FrankTower

Hey Frank,

I had the exact same problem and just like you there was no solution from all the forums I read.

I didn't really care about the app, but it was annoying to see the update alert everyday.

What did work for me was unistalling the app via Clean My Mac, and selected clean all data related to this app.

I am sure there are other apps that make complete unistalls like Clean My Mac that are probably free...

Just letting you know what worked for me.

I can't update software that someone else installed through Mac App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.