Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard drive problem

Hi guys.

I am using a WD 500GB External Hard drive. It has all of a sudden decided not to show up on my desktop. I can view it in Disk Utility, however it cannot be ejected or even formatted. When I try to erase it I recieve the error message "the disk cannot be unmounted". The light on the hard drive is constantly flashing. I have tried another cable and tried to open it on other macs.

External Hard Drive-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:30 PM

14 replies

Jun 13, 2012 3:04 PM in response to rcahill

If this happens on other machines, it may be a controller problem in the hard drive's enclosure...not much you can do then except see if you can get another enclosure to try the drive in.

If you startup holding the Option key, does the external drive show up? You should get the normal Macintosh HD, Rcovery HD, and the external drive. If it doesn't show that way, the startup manager isn't even picking it up.

Jun 14, 2012 3:45 AM in response to rcahill

That really sounds like a hard drive problem and not Mac problem...do you have access to a computer repair service or organization that can work with hard drives and recover data from drives? If there is something like that in your area you could see what they have to say about the WD drive...perhaps they can extract the info on the drive and save to another drive for you, or find out what is causing the problem with the drive/controller.

Mar 6, 2014 8:10 AM in response to rcahill

Follow the below steps in the exact order listed.

1. Unmount the problem external drives using Disk Utility.

2. Turn power switch off, if there is a switch.

3. Disconnect the data wire connection at the external drive box.

4. Disconnect the power cord at the external drive box.

5. Wait at least 5 minutes.

6. Plug the power cord into the external drive box.

7. Plug the data wire connection into the external drive box.

a. If using more than one external drive, let the drives become connected one-at-time.

8. Turn on power switch if present.

9. The problem drive should appear in Finder.

10.If the problem drive does not appear, repeat the above steps with Step 5 having a wait time of one hour.

11.If the problem persist, repeat the above steps with Step 5 having a wait time of at least 24 hours.

12.If successful, please give positive feedback on this site.

Apr 17, 2014 12:54 AM in response to rcahill

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my WD external disk.

After installing Maverick my disk would keep changing it's name every time I unplugged it - for example it started with My book, then it was My book 1, My book 2 and so on.

That was not that much of an isue for me but suddenly this same disk stopped appearing on my desktop and in finder. I can see it in disk utility and it connects just fine with another Macbook.

What could be the problem and how could I fix it? I have made some research and I still couldn't figure it out

Thank you!

External Hard drive problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.