Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to not miss that olde-tyme Highlights & Shadows 7-slider Brick

You can create an Effect that includes a zeroed Highlights & Shadows Olde-Tyme Brick, and then apply that Effect to _any_ Image.

Create the Effect:

1. Go to Photos
  2. Filter using the Rule "Adjustments" set to "includes" "Highlights & Shadows"
  3. Select one Image
  4. Duplicate that Version
  5. Un-check all Bricks _except_ Highlights & Shadows
  6. Set "Highlights" to zero
  7. Set "Shadows" to zero
  8. Click the disclosure triangle to show the "Advanced" sliders
  9. Reset all five of these to their defaults (this is done by double-clicking each slider handle)
  10. Click the "Highlights & Shadows" Brick Action Menu (the gear), and if it is not grayed out, click "Apply to entire photo".
  11. Click, above the Brick stack, the tile labeled "Effects"
  12. From the drop-down, click "Save as Effect"
  13. Type a name for this Effect. I used "Highlights & Shadows, Olde-Tyme".
  14. Click "OK"

You can now apply this Effect to any Image.

When you apply this Effect, the pre-3.3 "Highlights & Shadows" Brick supplants the truncated 3.3 "Highlights & Shadows" Brick, if that Brick is not active. If it _is_ active, you will see two H & S Bricks, one 3.3 version, and one pre-3.3 version.

You can not, afaik, set this effect to a keyboard shortcut using Aperture's customizable commands. (Don't know why -- 😕 --Effects aren't commands?)

I plan to assign this to an Aperture-only keyboard shortcut using Keyboard Maestro (recommended -- I'm a happy customer).

The idea was not mine. Read about it here. Many thanks to that poster for the idea 🙂 .

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 8 G / 500 G internal / 5 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Pho

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:48 PM

11 replies

Jun 13, 2012 4:15 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

Thanks for the post.

Joseph Linaschke over at ApertureExpert (who I believe was on the Aperture marketing team before it's demise) is offering a downloadable 'Effect' at the link below:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2012/6/12/reclaim-the-legacy-highlights-shado ws-adjustment-in-aperture.html

Same as you are referring to and can be used by those users who are starting to use Aperture at 3.3 and don't have an old version image to pull from.

Instructions and download link are in the 'Or just download this one...' section of blog post. 😉

Jun 13, 2012 11:25 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks, Kirby and Corky. Very nice workaround. Making H & S an effect makes it available resident in Aperture and therefore easily available to new libraries, whereas simply using the stamp brick requires at least one older photo to use. This would probably entail resaving an old library under a new name and deleting all but one shot--very cumbersome.

Jun 14, 2012 12:22 AM in response to andybc

Andy,

This would probably entail resaving an old library under a new name and deleting all but one shot

No, just exporting a project or album with a single image as a new library! 😉

I put an Aperture Library with a single image with highlight and shadow adjustments here for download:

http://dreschler-fischer.de/scripts/Templates2.aplibrary.zip

Download and uncompress it if you like, then you can import it as a template to generate a preset.

Regards

Léonie

Jun 14, 2012 9:11 AM in response to léonie

Thanks, Leonie. A much bertter way to go. Though in this particular case, making H &S a preset is probably the most efficient way to handle the problem and Joseph's preset download that Kirby mentions above might be the best bet for someone just purchasing 3.3 with not old-style H & S template to draw from.

Jun 14, 2012 12:32 PM in response to JohnTheAppleFan

JohnTheAppleFan wrote:

This will bring back the existing settings on adjustments made on pre-3.2 photos.

The reprocessing of the H&S adjustments made using the pre-3.3 H&S Brick are done on an image-by-image basis. Once you have reprocessed the H&S adjustments to the 3.3 verion, there is no way -- none -- to bring back your earlier settings. The Adjustment Preset that you make by following my instructions or by importing Léonies single-image Library or by importing Joseph Linaschke exported Adjustment Preset allows you to open an "old-style" 7-slider H&S Brick to use on any Image in a 3.4 Library.

How to not miss that olde-tyme Highlights & Shadows 7-slider Brick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.