Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens if i restore my phone as new

please help. im having problems with my music not playing on my iphonne4 and was told to not restore my phone from a previous backup. as the problem may just continue after the restore

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1, using a pc by the way

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 6:34 PM

2 replies

Jun 13, 2012 7:01 PM in response to raina88

Some things I know happen when you restore as new (not a complete list):

1. You have to re-do all your Setting preferences that deviate from default.
  2. You have to re-do all your sync settings for each media type.
  3. You have to reload all your media.
  4. You lose prior text messages.
  5. You lose call history.
  6. You lose any app data, such as progress on games, favorite cities for Weather, etc.
  7. Your Camera Roll re-starts blank, so first make sure you copy Camera Roll content to your computer.
  8. Your photo counter re-starts, so copying pictures from Camera Roll to your computer will result in duplicate file names if you save them to the same folder each time.
  9. Your Contacts are not part of your backup anyway, so make sure you have them stored somewhere (on your computer or a web service like iCloud, Google, etc.)

There are probably many things I'm leaving off. Before restoring, try other things to fix your music issue if you have not tried already:

1. Reset
  2. Restore from Backup (does not erase iPhone)
  3. Restore, then load last backup (erases iPhone, but re-loads everything but your Contacts)

If that does not help, then Restore without loading a backup is your last resort.

what happens if i restore my phone as new

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.