Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi stuck and forces me to restart

Up until now, I've had no problems with my Wifi. I'm running Macbook Pro 10.6.7 Snow Leopard, but before I was running Lion which is where the problm started occuring. I reformated my macbook pro and tried testing it on Snow Leopard, but the problem still occurs.

I would turn on my computer and my wifi would be working for a bit, when it disconnects ( i know it disconnected because my webpages/videos don't load or stream or whatever anymore), it'll still show that it has bars, but when i click open network settings and it shows that my wifi is off so i click wifi on, but it doesn't turn on, which then removes the bars from my taskbar and shows that my wifi is off, i click wifi on again, but it still doesn't turn on. I then restart my computer, and wifi works perfectly fine again for awhile and this happens again.

On some days, it happens more frequent than others, but this is really annoying if I have to stay plugged into ethernet to use the internet. Does anyone have a solution?

I've tried tactics such as opening terminal and using commands like networksetup airportpower en1 on/off, and sometimes that works in turning my wifi back on and off, but then it doesn't scan any networks to connect to, so i'm not sure what to do anymore besides take it into genius bar, but i want to make that as my last, last, resort.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:36 PM

4 replies

Aug 26, 2012 4:48 PM in response to ashiu

On the left panel of Network Preferences, is Wi-Fi at the top of the list? If not, click on the gear icon and select Service Order. Then drag Wi-Fi to the top of the list. Click ok. Then click the Apply button.

If problem persists, consider creating a new Location using the Assist me... button at the bottom of Network Preferences.

If the problem still persists, turn Wi-Fi off. In Network Preferences with Wi-Fi selected in the left panel, click the Advanced button in the lower right panel. On the Wi-Fi tab, if there is more than one network name listed, drag yours to the top of the list. If yours is the only network listed, click on your Network name and delete it using the minus button. Click ok. Then click the Apply button. Click the Airport icon on the menu bar to turn Wi-Fi on and then choose your network. If you use a password, a window will open to enter it. Follow the prompts from there.

If the problem still persists, turn WiFi off. Launch the Keychain app in the Utilities folder and delete the saved password for your wireless network. Afterwards, turn Wi-Fi on, select your network and follow the prompts.

HTH

wifi stuck and forces me to restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.