Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RSS Visualizer no longer shows 'Press the _ key' below headline

My RSS Visualizer screen saver no longer displays 'Press the 1 key...', 'Press the 2 key...' etc below each headline like it used to. It's simply missing, but everything else works fine.

I actually use that feature to read the NY Times headlines, so I'd like to get it back. I searched for other people with the problem and found nothing. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz, 4gb RAM, pre-unibody, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 9:55 PM

6 replies

Jun 14, 2012 11:19 AM in response to BHazeltine

Yes, this started maybe a week or two ago for me as well. I'm at my work iMac now, same problem on Lion, OS X 10.7.4.

UPDATE: I trashed the com.apple.screensaver.plist in the Library, emptied the trash, and rebooted my computer. The 'Press the 1 key...', ' Press the 2 key...' etc came back!

To find the Library folder: in Finder, Option-click on the Go Menu and Library will be in the dropdown. Good luck!

Jun 14, 2012 12:04 PM in response to annieisms

OK, as someone who is new to Macs, it still took me a while to find the file. They are in the Preferences folder of the Library. (Didn't know about the Option Click in the Go menu; thanks.)

Also, just to see if it would work, I didn't empty the trash or reboot. Simply deleting the file and letting the computer recreate it did the trick. Problem solved!

Aug 23, 2012 3:32 AM in response to annieisms

Hello, I'm also on 10.7.4 and have the same problems, which started when I updated to Safari 6.0 (7536.25). I tried the "com.apple.screensaver.plist" dump, but mine was in the library/preferences folder, and it still didn't help. Also, I noticed that when I go into OPTIONS from the SYSPREFS/Desktop & Screen Saver, for the RSS FEED, there's only the Apple Hot News; CNN, NYT, Bloomberg, etc, have disappeared.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is related, my delete button, which I used to use to navigate backwards in Safari, no longer works...(?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RSS Visualizer no longer shows 'Press the _ key' below headline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.