Skip navigation

Why can't my computer find the Internet since I loaded Lion?

440 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 3:26 AM by softwater RSS
rkrent Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 14, 2012 9:01 AM

Any help out there? All my other devices work just fine...

lion on all my computers?, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Where will my gallery and web go?
  • m3bimmer Calculating status...

Could you give more details? How are you attempting to connect? Did you get any errors?

What type of computer, router, etc.?

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,140 points)

Hi...

Might be corrupted network preferences (.plist)

Open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type this exactly as you see it here:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Click Go

Move the NetworkInterfaces.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac. See if you can use connect via Ethernet.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,735 points)

Disconnect all USB and Firewire devices (except keyboard and mouse, if applicable.) Delete and try to recreate your Ethernet connection.

If unsuccessful, reset the SMC and try again.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

If still unsuccessful, back up all data, then boot into Recovery and reinstall the Mac OS.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

If still unsuccessful, make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to bare metal from any of them.) Don’t erase the Lion recovery partition, if present.

• softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)

Sounds like something your'e running on start up is corrupting the network plist file.

Go to

 > System Preferences > Users & Groups | Login Items

Either remove everything from that list and reboot, or post that list here for advice on likely culprits.

iTunes.helper is added to login items by iTunes automatically, I believe, though I've never heard of that causing problems.

In any case, hope your problem remains solved. If it does not, I'd suggest you start a new thread as you've marked this one as solved already. If you do need to start a new thread, link to this one so that everyone can read the full background.

Good luck!

click in the address bar at the top of this page, do 'cmd-a' and 'cmd-c', one after the other.

Then go back to the main board by hitting 'discussions' up their near the top of the page, just under your username. Start a new topic, when you want to place the link in your post, just hit 'cmd-v'.

Did you remove EVERYTHING from the Login Items list?

That's what you need to do, and to leave that list empty long enough to see if it solves the problem. If or once you're sure the problem has not returned, then start adding things back in to it, one at a time, as I suggested before.

I was never convinced iTunes helper was going to be the cause of your problem, but I am fairly confident that if you have a number of 3rd party (non-Apple) items in there, one of them is likely to blame (likely culprits would be any kind of AV software, MacKeeper, Sophos, Norton etc, Adobe stuff, Google drive..there are a number of 'usual suspects'...), but the trick is just to remove EVERYTHING first to see if the problem is resolved.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.