Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't my computer find the Internet since I loaded Lion?

Any help out there? All my other devices work just fine...

lion on all my computers?-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Where will my gallery and web go?

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:01 AM

14 replies

Jun 14, 2012 11:04 AM in response to m3bimmer

All I did was load Lion. And it does not recognize my Ethernet connection and does not allow me to try to connect using the Ethernet only wants to connect with the wireless signal but is not doing that either. It says it is not turned on? So it is not like any other apple software I am use to that solves the issues automatically and lets me work! Can not even choose ethenet as an option. Greyed out!

Jun 14, 2012 10:49 PM in response to rkrent

Disconnect all USB and Firewire devices (except keyboard and mouse, if applicable.) Delete and try to recreate your Ethernet connection.

If unsuccessful, reset the SMC and try again.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

If still unsuccessful, back up all data, then boot into Recovery and reinstall the Mac OS.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

If still unsuccessful, make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store to have the machine tested.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to bare metal from any of them.) Don’t erase the Lion recovery partition, if present.

Jun 15, 2012 11:30 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Well the total shutdown of all devices and unpluging as well as restarting my network hub, along with putting the Networkinterfaces.plist in the Trash worked. I then got the latest updates and updated... unfortunately when i shutdown for the night and then started in the morning, the same thing happened and I needed to put the NetworkInterfaces.plist in the Trash again and restart. That worked, but I do not want to do that every time!!!!!

Is there any real fix for this?

I am so frustrated with this software! I need to work and not keep working on my computer! I am VERY ****** OFF AT APPLE FOR LETTING THIS SOFTWARE OUT BEFORE IT WAS READY, AND THEY MUST HAVE KNOWN IT AS THEY ARE ALREADY COMING OUT WITH MOUNTIAN LION, which i hope is better, but taking away idisk, iweb and igallery is inexcusable! everyone has free email so they gave the market nothing!!! THEY EVEN TOOK AWAY THE 17" MONITOR ON LAPTOPS! THIS IS SO PC AND NOT APPLE! To care only about the bottom line like all bottom feeders!

Jun 15, 2012 11:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

This would be great if I was in the US at the moment, but as I am in Dubai and there are not Genius desks here as Apple is not fully supporting the market here with learning through One on One or Genius desk, let alone the fact that the iMac isnot the most easy to just move around due to its size, Don't get the worng impression I love my iMac just not this Lion software and the loss of features it represents... PLEASE HELP, I do not want to become an android...

Jun 16, 2012 12:09 AM in response to rkrent

iTunes.helper is added to login items by iTunes automatically, I believe, though I've never heard of that causing problems.

In any case, hope your problem remains solved. If it does not, I'd suggest you start a new thread as you've marked this one as solved already. If you do need to start a new thread, link to this one so that everyone can read the full background.

Good luck! 🙂

Jun 17, 2012 3:26 AM in response to rkrent

Did you remove EVERYTHING from the Login Items list?

That's what you need to do, and to leave that list empty long enough to see if it solves the problem. If or once you're sure the problem has not returned, then start adding things back in to it, one at a time, as I suggested before.

I was never convinced iTunes helper was going to be the cause of your problem, but I am fairly confident that if you have a number of 3rd party (non-Apple) items in there, one of them is likely to blame (likely culprits would be any kind of AV software, MacKeeper, Sophos, Norton etc, Adobe stuff, Google drive..there are a number of 'usual suspects'...), but the trick is just to remove EVERYTHING first to see if the problem is resolved.

Why can't my computer find the Internet since I loaded Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.