Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iOS ever support a USB mouse?

I'm paralyzed from the neck down. I use only my mouth with a sip and puff mouse that connects via usb. I have an ipad(3) and I've tried using my mouse through the camera connect kit which it didn't work. I don't understand why the android ics devices support a usb mouse and the iOS devices don't. This is an issue that Apple probably didn't consider for disabled individuals such as myself. If someone can help get this message to the developers maybe the new iOS could support usb devices like my sip and puff mouse.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 11:52 AM

13 replies

Jun 14, 2012 12:07 PM in response to quadriplegic32

OK, the obvious fact is that being only your fellow users, no one here knows what Apple might do in the future. They would have to radically change their design philosophy for iOS, but none of us can say that it's not possible at some point. If you want to comment to Apple, you can do so via their feedback pages:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

But since at least for the foreseeable future iOS will not have mouse support, some other product would probably be a better choice for you. If an Android tablet does what you need, I'd suggest purchase one of those.

Regards.

Jun 14, 2012 1:10 PM in response to quadriplegic32

iOS does not have the notion of a pointer (at the software level; as a matter of fact, you may have noticed that many JavaScript features related to mouse movements don't work on it -- there's simply no notion of it in the OS). For this reason, it's unlikely that a conventional mouse will ever be supported.

That said, iOS has a feature called "AssistiveTouch" that is intended to address how a person with limited mobility can make gestures on the device. Apple's documentation seems to imply that there are groups that make devices that interface with AssistiveTouch, so, potentially there's an adapter similar to your sip-and-puff mouse that can be used -- though I'm personally unfamiliar with such things.

You might want to contact Apple customer support by phone, or, better yet, the Christopher Reeve Foundation which provides considerable expertise in this area and can let you know how others with spinal chord injuries are using the iPad (the iPad is mentioned on their website).

Jun 14, 2012 1:24 PM in response to J D McIninch

Good thoughts, JD. Spurred by your comments, I did some research and found a number of possibilities. The InDATA/Easter Seals' web site has a number of resources listed:

http://www.eastersealstech.com/content.aspx?pId=554

though I don't see any that specifically address the OP's particular issue. If contacted they may have additional suggestions. R.J. Cooper also has a number of resources:

http://www.rjcooper.com/site-map/index.html#ipad

And a Georgia Tech student has adapted a sip-and-puff system to the iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB1D39O3mp4

Something similar could probably be done for the iPad, though there's nothing off the shelf I can find.

Also, with iOS 6, the new iPad will get Siri which will almost certainly help a lot of people, though we'll have to see what specific functions are available.

So a number of potential avenues in addition to the ones you mentioned.

Regards.

Dec 5, 2012 4:33 PM in response to quadriplegic32

It is actually possible to have both an bluetooth mouse & keyboard synced to an iPad2. I have a bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse attached to mine and they work fine together.

Unfortunately this is not possible with and iPad2 out of the box, and this being an Apple forum, I'm not trying to advocate JB your iPad.

But I just wanted to put it out there that it is definitely possible. 😉

Will iOS ever support a USB mouse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.