Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can a Xserve G4 be upgraded to a Intel Logic Board?

im looking into purchasing a used xServe G4 and was wondering if i can buy an intel xserve logic board to install into the G4 body, is this possible? the reason i want to do this is so i can run 10.6/10.7 server as all my macs are currently running 10.7 or 10.8 ( Developer Beta 4 )

Jake

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 10:30 PM

No. This isn't possible.

Although the overall form factor is the same (1U) the internals are compeltely different. The motherboard size and layout, power suppies (single vs. dual), disk interfaces (4 PATA vs. 3 SATA/SAS), PCI slot placement, etc. - even standard ports like ethernet, USB, are all in different places so the case won't line up.. I'd say there's an less than 0% chance that this will work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2012 10:30 PM in response to MacMan'95

No. This isn't possible.

Although the overall form factor is the same (1U) the internals are compeltely different. The motherboard size and layout, power suppies (single vs. dual), disk interfaces (4 PATA vs. 3 SATA/SAS), PCI slot placement, etc. - even standard ports like ethernet, USB, are all in different places so the case won't line up.. I'd say there's an less than 0% chance that this will work.

can a Xserve G4 be upgraded to a Intel Logic Board?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.