Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor to Youtube hd

Hi there.

So I know what to do I would just like to clarify something.

I have a 1080 pro res video 24fps @ 3 minutes which is 3.2GB when exported as pro res (originally 5D footage). I want to get this onto YouTube/vimeo at the best possible quality. Codec I'm using h.264/.mov. When it comes to file size, should I just give it a standard k/bits second (6000 brings it down to 150mb?) or should I try and make the file size come in at just under 2GB in size (which is the YouTube limit) which will give the best quality (Although marginal I still like to get the best possible ).

What will be the best option for highest quality for YouTube & Vimeo if different?

Also there is an option 'optimize for download or streaming'. It will be only streaming on YouTube so if it worth selecting that? I haven't seen anyone talking about that on the net.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 12:40 PM

6 replies

Jun 14, 2012 2:24 PM in response to rascalz

Yu'll find a variety of opinions on this. Some people advocate not compressing at all since YT is going to re-process their movie anyway. Others just follow the YT recommendations. I guess I am in the middle. My 1080 vidoes to both YT and Vimeo are compressed as h.264 .mov (not mp4) at 20 Mbs (and sometimes a little higher, depending on the material)…and I'm happy with the quality. Continue to find Vimeo quality generally higher.

Good luck.

Russ

Jun 14, 2012 2:54 PM in response to Russ H

Yeah there seem to be a lot. And many that don't really understand what they are talking about.

Your method is the same pretty much for what I have ended up doing. H.264 with 20k kbits brings it just under 500mb. The quality between that and 70,000 kbps is minor. Seems reasonable for most YouTube/Vimeo users.

I did turn off frame reordering and also made it fast start so that shouldn't screw it up much should it? Seemed logical to me. 10minutes left of compression so I **** hope this is the one!

Thanks for reply russ

Jun 15, 2012 6:52 AM in response to Russ H

To add to Russ(es) comment. Turn off frame reordering and use one-pass encoding. One pass encoding will produce a better encoding with less artifacts compared to two pass encoding. Leaving frame reordering on can messup re-encoding by YouTube and Vimeo.

Here is a test video I sent to YouTube using one pass encoding (x264 encoder).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOpTnlE-mM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The artifacts in the video are in the originals footage. I made the countdown and VU meter in Motion 5.

(Sent from my iPad)

Compressor to Youtube hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.