6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 8:02 AM by Russ H
rascalz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there.

So I know what to do I would just like to clarify something.

I have a 1080 pro res video 24fps @ 3 minutes which is 3.2GB when exported as pro res (originally 5D footage). I want to get this onto YouTube/vimeo at the best possible quality. Codec I'm using h.264/.mov. When it comes to file size, should I just give it a standard k/bits second (6000 brings it down to 150mb?) or should I try and make the file size come in at just under 2GB in size (which is the YouTube limit) which will give the best quality (Although marginal I still like to get the best possible ).

What will be the best option for highest quality for YouTube & Vimeo if different?

Also there is an option 'optimize for download or streaming'. It will be only streaming on YouTube so if it worth selecting that? I haven't seen anyone talking about that on the net.

Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • Russ H Level 6 Level 6 (17,065 points)

Yu'll find a variety of opinions on this. Some people advocate not compressing at all since YT is going to re-process their movie anyway. Others just follow the YT recommendations. I guess I am in the middle. My 1080 vidoes to both YT and Vimeo are compressed as h.264 .mov (not mp4) at 20 Mbs (and sometimes a little higher, depending on the material)…and I'm happy with the quality. Continue to find Vimeo quality generally higher.

Good luck.

Russ

• rascalz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yeah there seem to be a lot. And many that don't really understand what they are talking about.

Your method is the same pretty much for what I have ended up doing. H.264 with 20k kbits brings it just under 500mb. The quality between that and 70,000 kbps is minor. Seems reasonable for most YouTube/Vimeo users.

I did turn off frame reordering and also made it fast start so that shouldn't screw it up much should it? Seemed logical to me. 10minutes left of compression so I **** hope this is the one!

Thanks for reply russ

• David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6 (9,270 points)

To add to Russ(es) comment. Turn off frame reordering and use one-pass encoding. One pass encoding will produce a better encoding with less artifacts compared to two pass encoding. Leaving frame reordering on can messup re-encoding by YouTube and Vimeo.

Here is a test video I sent to YouTube using one pass encoding (x264 encoder). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOpTnlE-mM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The artifacts in the video are in the originals footage. I made the countdown and VU meter in Motion 5. 

(Sent from my iPad)

Nice.

• David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6 (9,270 points)

Took me a long time to read (internet searches) and figure out x264 settings. What does what... For those who don't know, x264 is an open source H.264 encoder. To bad Apple only give you a few controls when it comes to h.264. If need be I can encode a 5 minute 1080p video in around two minutes using x264...

Back when, I would sometimes use x.264 with DV Kitchen. Don't recall why I stopped. Thanks for the reminder.

Russ