Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro a replacement for Garageband?

So I would like to start getting rid of redundant programs in my computer and I was just curious if anyone knew FOR SURE if I got the latest Logic Pro from the Mac App Store if it would have the same instruments and loops as Garageband (because there are a lot in there that I like) and just a whole bunch of new instruments, features and loops added so that I could delete Garageband, OR are they separate programs so Garageband would have stuff (instruments, loops, etc) that LogicPro would not have? Should I keep both, or can I just outright get rid of Garageband because Logic Pro has everything (literally) that Garageband has and a bunch more?

And on a side note, Logic Pro on the app store was advertised as having the ability to open Garageband files. They obviously meant the computer version of Garageband, but since I will be keeping Garageband on my ipad at least, will files generated on the ipad be able to be opened in Logic Pro once I send the file over? Thanks for your help!

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 1:38 PM

9 replies

Jun 14, 2012 2:44 PM in response to Howmander

If you download Logic from the App Store you then have the option to download the additional content, which includes all the Garageband Jam Packs, so you should have everything you had in Garageband and more - there are many useful software instruments - notably the ES2 synthesiser and the EXS24 sampler, which are very useful and versatile, you just have to get into what they're about and, if you do, that should keep your sonic imagination ticking over for a while.

Mainstage is designed for live performance - I haven't actually tried it for that purpose - I just wish I'd had it about 20 years ago when I was doing a lot of gigging (and running backwards and forwards between the stage and the mixer to think about the sound of the whole thing).

Jun 14, 2012 3:33 PM in response to Howmander

Howmander wrote:

So I would like to start getting rid of redundant programs in my computer and I was just curious if anyone knew FOR SURE if I got the latest Logic Pro from the Mac App Store if it would have the same instruments and loops as Garageband (because there are a lot in there that I like)

Couple of things...

A lot of people are having trhis problem: (don't know if there is a firm solution yet)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4028840

Logic is vastly more involved than Garageband, GB tends to help the user along with many things preset, Logic does not do this, or does not do it nearly to the extent GB does. You will need to become familiar with a few technical aspects understanding buffer settings, the advantage of using a decent 3rd party audio interface instead of the Mac's $2 audio chip... reading the manual is a must in my opinion. Just something to be aware of, there is a learning curve. Logic should never be billed an an upgrade from Garageband, it's misleading.

p.s. be prepared to download over 20 gigabytes of data, make sure your hard drive has pleany od free space.

Jun 15, 2012 11:38 AM in response to Howmander

I went from GarageBand to Logic 9 from the app store a couple months ago and the transition has been very smooth. I really like Logic, but I have used Apple's pro video apps for many years so I feel right at home. I have not tried to remove any of my GarageBand stuff and frankly I don't plan to. As far as I can tell, Logic recognized all the existing GarageBand instruments and loops. When you go to choose an instrument, you get a heirarchical menu and one of the headings is GarageBand, with submenus for different instruments.

I don't have an iPad and have never used GarageBand on my iPhone so I really don't know the answer to that question. However, if Mac GarageBand can open the files, I suspect you will be fine. The Mac GaragBand app is only about 400MB, so I would just leave it installed in case you ever need it.

Logic Pro a replacement for Garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.