Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I connected my iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation to my PC but it won't show in itunes, but his status light flash 3 times...

I connected my iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation to my PC but it won't show in itunes, but his status light flash 3 times... what should i do?

iPod shuffle, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 3:34 PM

10 replies

Jun 14, 2012 3:43 PM in response to dansh95

If this worked before but is not working now for some reason, you can try this procedure to reset the iPod shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1655

Then, shut down your computer (power off) and start it up, with iPod shuffle NOT connected. Run iTunes. Then, try connecting the iPod shuffle again.

If this is the first time you are connecting this iPod shuffle to this computer, or if you did the above and it did not help, please post back.

Jun 20, 2012 8:07 PM in response to dansh95

Since it worked before and does not now, it is probably not a problem on the computer end (unless you did something recently like a system re-install). But be sure to try another USB port, and if you are using a USB hub, try it connected directly to the computer.

Since it does not appear in iTunes or in Windows device manager, it seems like the connection is not working. That could mean the USB cable/dock may have gone bad. Or that the connection point on the iPod shuffle is not working properly.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, you could make a reservation at the Genius Bar. Have them try it with a cable they have, and with any additional testing/maintenance software they may have.

Feb 22, 2013 6:34 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

My iPod has the same problem as RaulCGB--it used to work fine. Now when i plug it into my computer, the shuffle blinks orange ONLY. I never set it up as a "disk" storage. And since it doesn't show up in iTunes I cannot check the settings. I unplug it and it works fine (I can listen to songs) but since I can't connect it to iTunes I cannot change up the songs.

I've tried plugging into 2 different Macs but the same blinking orange light. Very annoying!

This problem came about in the last year...

Feb 23, 2013 1:20 AM in response to yaffmaster

Since you use a Mac, what happens when the shuffle is connected to USB and you run Disk Utility? Does the shuffle's "disk" appear in the Disk Utility sidebar?

If this is a 1st or 2nd gen shuffle, you can try using the iPod Reset Utility

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1238

(Only for 1st or 2nd gen shuffle. Only runs on Macs and Windows XP or earlier.)

I connected my iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation to my PC but it won't show in itunes, but his status light flash 3 times...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.