Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share purchased apps with my son's iPhone

My son is getting an iPhone for his birthday. I would like to share the apps that I have purchased for him on my phone to his. The catch is that his Mom is buying the phone for him. We are divorced, so we don't share an account. Is there a way to do this using iCloud? Do his Mom and I need to use the same iCloud account on our computers for him? Can he have 2 iCloud accounts on his phone that have different billing, so he can get apps from both of us? Will home sharing do this? Does home sharing only work when you are on your individual home WiFi, or will it work when he is not at "home"?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 4:01 PM

2 replies

Jun 14, 2012 4:16 PM in response to joltes

You can't use iCloud to share apps. Also, Home Sharing only works when the devices are connected to the same wi-fi network, and would only allow you to copy the apps from one iTunes library to another. He would have to sync his phone with your computer to transfer the apps to his phone, but if he is already syncing with another computer this would delete all iTunes media from his phone and replace it with yours. All future updates of these apps would also require him to enter your password as they are permanently tied to the Apple ID used to purchase them.

How to share purchased apps with my son's iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.