Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD 3.5.3

Since this weeks update to ARD 3.5.3 I can no longer connect from a LION desksktop to control a LION desktop.

All other connetctions from LION to Leopard or Snow Leopard work just fine but LION to LION connections have ceased working.

You click "control" from my lion desktop the dialog box says: Connecting to: XXXX LION machine

The connection eventually times out and says connection failed.

Everything was working fine prior to this weeks ARD update.

Anyone else having this problem ?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 6:56 PM

11 replies

Jun 16, 2012 9:13 AM in response to namasteaz

I encountered a similar but not the same problem. I have two lion computers at home with ARD Admin at work, one at each of our two locations, and one at home that can connect to our firewall box and work within the network. All Lion 10.7.4. I updated the one at home first to 3.5.2 and it had no problems controlling the other two.

Then at work I updated the one that is "remote" and not directly in the office (updated by controlling in ARD as a matter of fact). After updating the Admin to 3.5.2, I could not control the computer from one that was not updated. I could "copy to", but not observe or control.

I got home and same thing - could not control/observe the computer that was updated to Admin 3.5.2, could observe/control the one still at Admin 3.5.1.

I have seen others with problems in this genre resolve by kickstarting the computer (or turning management off and on if physically at it), so tried that - ssh'd in and used the kickstart command. Amazingly, it worked.

I used Remote Desktop Help for the kickstart command syntax. was following for user "admin"

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -activate -configure -access -on -users admin -privs -all -restart -agent -menu

My problem was just with ARD admin computers. I have couple other Lions without ARD admin and they were never a problem after the update to 3.5.2. Note: everything has 3.5.3 for the client.

Jun 16, 2012 4:53 PM in response to namasteaz

I have experienced the same problem. After the latest installation of 3.5.3, it took a long time to connection my remote mac (via VPN), and impossible to connect without VPN.

- Lion Server (remote server) - using Time Capsule

- Lion (MBP2008 / MacPro 2008) - using Airport Station

Note: Lion (MBP2008) can locally connect to MacPro 2008 via a local network

Everything was updated to 3.5.3 and failed to connect.

Jun 17, 2012 8:40 AM in response to namasteaz

I had the same issue after updating to 3.5.3, couldn't connect to my Macmini anymore from my iMac and vice versa, both run 10.7.4

What worked for me was disabling "Remote Login" and "Remote Management" in System Preferences / Sharing on both machines and reboot them. After the reboot, I enabled both settings again and then the problem was fixed: I could connect again. I didn't have to kickstart anyhting. Hopefully this will work for you as well.

Jun 17, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Menno V

Good to know - like I said in my post either kickstart (which can be done remotely) or turn management off and on at the machine -- if you want to hoof to the machine.

Next person with this issue let us know if you can use unix command to kickstart (which merely is a command line way of turning management on and off) so you could do a whole bunch at once.

My symptom was that could not control or observe but could in fact do other things like copy. I was able to successfully copy files even though could not control or observe. Did not try send unix command, however.

ARD 3.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.