Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am on a mac with Leapoard 10.5.8. How do I install bootcamp?

So... I have recently delved into recreational gameing, and have very quickly found out that there arent very many games compatible on the Mac software. Ive asked around a bit, and everyone suggests Apple Bootcamp. Ive taken a look around on the apple bootcamp site, and its not very informative on what I need to download for my software version (10.5.8 snow leopard, on a old iMac), and what I need to do once I actually have the download.

Any tips for me?

Also, if needed I can post more of my computers stats.

iMac (17-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 8:52 PM

If you're using an Intel Mac, you need the Boot Camp Assistant in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder, a compatible Windows installation disk, and the drivers on a Mac OS X 10.5 install DVD.

If you're using a PowerPC Mac, you can't.

(67175)

6 replies

Jun 16, 2012 11:08 AM in response to Dudeman7557

When selecting Windows games be sure to look at the requirements regarding memory (RAM) processor speed, and graphics card specs. There is usually a minimal requirement list and a recommended list. Sorry to say but you will not be happy playing with the minimal requirements.

From MacTracker I get the following specs for a late 2006 iMac 17".

ProcessorIntel Core 2 Duo (T5600) ("Merom")
Processor Speed1.83 GHz
Storage160 GB 7200-rpm
Maximum Memory2.0 GB
Graphics CardIntel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950

You can probably play some older games that don't have intensive graphic needs but new games might not even install. This is with Boot Camp which runs natively.

In general I have found that 2 or at best 3 years of age is all one can expect of a computer to be able to play the newer stuff. If you can't afford a new Mac then perhaps look at the PC gaming computers as they are cheap by comparison and can be upgraded.

I am on a mac with Leapoard 10.5.8. How do I install bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.