6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 1:04 PM by The hatter
Dudeman7557 Level 1 Level 1

So... I have recently delved into recreational gameing, and have very quickly found out that there arent very many games compatible on the Mac software. Ive asked around a bit, and everyone suggests Apple Bootcamp. Ive taken a look around on the apple bootcamp site, and its not very informative on what I need to download for my software version (10.5.8 snow leopard, on a old iMac), and what I need to do once I actually have the download.

Any tips for me?

Also, if needed I can post more of my computers stats.

iMac (17-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.5.8)
Solved by Niel on Jun 15, 2012 3:31 PM Solved
1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.5 DVD when the computer is booted into Windows.2. Yes, you need to purchase Windows. Some educational or corporate networks may host a version that can be made into a DVD. (67183)
Reply by Niel on Jun 14, 2012 8:52 PM Helpful
If you're using an Intel Mac, you need the Boot Camp Assistant in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder, a compatible Windows installation disk, and the drivers on a Mac OS X 10.5 install DVD. If you're using a PowerPC Mac, you can't. (67175)
Reply by dalstott on Jun 16, 2012 11:08 AM Helpful
When selecting Windows games be sure to look at the requirements regarding memory (RAM) processor speed, and graphics card specs. There is usually a minimal requirement list and a recommended list. Sorry to say but you will not be happy playing with the minimal requirements. From MacTracker I get the following specs for a late 2006 iMac 17". ProcessorIntel Core 2 Duo (T5600) ("Merom")Processor Speed1.83 GHzStorage160 GB 7200-rpmMaximum Memory2.0 GBGraphics CardIntel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950 You can probably play some older games that don't have intensive graphic needs but new games might not even install. This is with Boot Camp which runs natively.  In general I have found that 2 or at best 3 years of age is all one can expect of a computer to be able to play the newer stuff. If you can't afford a new Mac then perhaps look at the PC gaming computers as they are cheap by comparison and can be upgraded.

All replies

• Niel Level 10 Level 10

If you're using an Intel Mac, you need the Boot Camp Assistant in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder, a compatible Windows installation disk, and the drivers on a Mac OS X 10.5 install DVD.

If you're using a PowerPC Mac, you can't.

(67175)

• Dudeman7557 Level 1 Level 1

So... I have the Boot Camp Assistant utility, easy enough. The drivers thing I dont really get, could you or someone explain a bit more? And the Windows installation disk... that would mean I need to go buy a copy of Windows with the disk? Anyways, thanks for the help!

• Niel Level 10 Level 10

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.5 DVD when the computer is booted into Windows.

2. Yes, you need to purchase Windows. Some educational or corporate networks may host a version that can be made into a DVD.

(67183)

• Dudeman7557 Level 1 Level 1

Okay thank you =D. Much appreciated. Hopefully I will have it set up and running within the week!

• dalstott Level 4 Level 4

When selecting Windows games be sure to look at the requirements regarding memory (RAM) processor speed, and graphics card specs. There is usually a minimal requirement list and a recommended list. Sorry to say but you will not be happy playing with the minimal requirements.

From MacTracker I get the following specs for a late 2006 iMac 17".

ProcessorIntel Core 2 Duo (T5600) ("Merom")
    Processor Speed1.83 GHz
    Storage160 GB 7200-rpm
    Maximum Memory2.0 GB
    Graphics CardIntel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950

You can probably play some older games that don't have intensive graphic needs but new games might not even install. This is with Boot Camp which runs natively.

In general I have found that 2 or at best 3 years of age is all one can expect of a computer to be able to play the newer stuff. If you can't afford a new Mac then perhaps look at the PC gaming computers as they are cheap by comparison and can be upgraded.

• The hatter Level 9 Level 9

If you are going to use Windows 7, invest $30 into OS X SL 10.6.3