10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2012 10:01 AM by RCGlass
RCGlass Level 1 (0 points)

I am traveling in Korea from the US and have discovered that "Find My iPhone" doesn't seem to work for either my iPhone4 or iPad2. I am able to send the alert signal and message but the location is unavailable.

It appears that Apple provides MobileMe service to Korea so I do not understand why these devices cannot be located.

iPhone 4, iOS 5
  • Winston Churchill Level 10 (93,130 points)

You can only locate your device when it is logged into iCloud and 'Find My Phone' is enabled, additionally the device will need to be switched on and connected to a wifi or cellular network.

Unfortunately, you cannot activate iCloud or 'Find My Phone' remotely.

If the device is wiped by you or another, you may not be able to locate the device (although some have reported they can)

• shuppie Level 1 (0 points)

Winston, you seem knowledgable, so I am reposting this question I put out into the community... 

• RCGlass Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you but I am aware of all of this and iCloud and "Find my iPhone" are enabled but it still returns a "no location available" message when searching. This is true when both the searching device and the one to be found are on the same wifi network and sitting a foot from each other. Either device can adequately locate itself on the Map app and can send an alert and message to the other but FMiP can't seem to locate them.

I find this anomaly very curious and wonder if it has something to do with using a USA based iPhone in a foreign country? That might explain shuppie's London experience as well. If that is the case, it certainly diminishes the usefulness of the app and iCloud. Does Apple expect us to only misplace our precious iDevices in our own backyard?

I just had my husband (who is in the US) look for my MacBook (which is with me in London) using FMiP, and it found it.  The location was a little off, siting the hotel across the street, but it was in the general vicinity.  Good to know.

I intentionally was not on a web browser.  My laptop was in a cafe with wifi and I had "Mail" open, but nothing else.  I wasn't actively running FMiP on my laptop, nor was I on the internet.  Still found it.  :-)

Blocking the phone (cellualar) won't stop 'Find my phone' working. If someone charges it, they will get your message, provided it connects to a registered wifi network, as for seeing your contact details, they will only see what you put in your message (unless you didn't lock the phone)

I didn't just block the sim, I blocked the handset (imei?).  I just called Vodaphone this morning to have it temporarily unblocked.  They tell me it will take up to 72 hours to be unblocked.  So confusing.  I did do a remote loce using the FMiP app.  It will lock if/when the phone is charges and turned on...and connects to the internet.  Doesn't it need a sim to connect to the internet?

I still don't think blocking it from your provider will stop the phone functioning otherwise and connecting to wifi.

So Winston, do you have any help for me?

• Rob ertMcElroy Level 1 (5 points)

Due to Korean Law about privacy you can't use Find my Ipad, iphone.

I guess if you use it to find a theif you are somehow violating their right to privacy?

Just thought I'd chrip in.  Better late than Never

Thank you. I appreciate someone actually addressing the problem that I posed even though I have now returned from Korea with both my phone and iPad in hand.

Apple doesn't advertise the exceptions to FMiP but I wonder if there are other countries like Korea that block its use? This would certainly be helpful information for those of us who travel with their products.

Message was edited by: RCGlass PS- I apologize for not clicking "This solved my problem." You certainly deserve the credit. Unfortunately I can't reedit my choice.

BTW, the forum designers should add a "This was totally off topic" button that subtracts points for those who hijack your question for their own purposes!