Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My source content is in different resolutions, what settings do I use to set my project up?

I have 3 types of input:

1) H.264 720x568 25fps AAC 48kHz Stereo (though for some reason it says "NTSC 1080p in the info panel for these clips)

2) H.264 1440x1080 25fps

3) Motion projects, which I can obviously set up at whatever resolution I need to

The final exported footage once the project is complete will be used in a variety of formats:

- streamed online

- viewed on a Mac in Quicktime (on a standard monitor, and then via secondary screen onto HD TV)

- iPad

Please could someone advise on how I'm best to go about choosing a project setting (resolution, frames etc) so I can create the project at the correct resolution in FCP Pro X, and also in Motion 5

Thanks in advance

Rob

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:05 AM

There is no correct answer. It depends what you want. Your biggest problem is that you have some media that's standard def 4:3 and other media that's HD 16:9. You have to decide what you want to output and how you're going to treat the 4:3 material. Another factor is of course what material do you have the most of. Finally, you need to convert the material that has the compressed AAC audio to a format that has uncompressed 48k audio.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 4:05 AM in response to robm247

There is no correct answer. It depends what you want. Your biggest problem is that you have some media that's standard def 4:3 and other media that's HD 16:9. You have to decide what you want to output and how you're going to treat the 4:3 material. Another factor is of course what material do you have the most of. Finally, you need to convert the material that has the compressed AAC audio to a format that has uncompressed 48k audio.

Jun 15, 2012 8:10 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom

Majority will be the HD, so presuming you're going to tell me to set it up in HD format and then just drop the standard def stuff into that and suffer the degredation? Are the options either to stretch it or zoom & crop

Wasn't sure what you meant about converting AAC to 48k audio... how do I do that? I think I'm getting confused because inspector tells me Codecs: H264 and AAC, but audio sample rate tells me 48kHz (for the same clip?).

Also, what's the best way to get Motion stuff into FCP? Would ProRes 4444 be best?

Thanks again

Rob

Jun 15, 2012 8:59 AM in response to robm247

Make a new project and drop an HD clip into it first. Even if you're going to use it later. That will fix the format size.

AAC is compressed audio, even if the sample rate is 48k. You can run it through Compressor or MPEG Streamclip to convert it. Unusual frame size.

So, you can scale up the SD either so it's pillarboxed or scale it even further and cut off the top and bottom. Best thing to do is to try it.

Another option might be to edit in 720p. This will mean scaling down the HD, but you won't have to scale up the SD as much. No good answers I'm afraid.

My source content is in different resolutions, what settings do I use to set my project up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.