Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.bmp files do not show as icons in the event library - I am having to convert them to .jpg to achieve a display

Although .bmp files are to some extent supported, I find that on importing them they do not show as icons in the event library. I am having to convernt them to .jpg files to produce this result. Am I doing something wrongly, or is this the experience of others as well?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 2:24 AM

8 replies

Jun 15, 2012 5:20 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

They appear as a black rectangle in the library,and the name of the file is shown (without the suffix). When they are dragged into the time line, again the black rectangle is shown, though this can be skimmed to show the clip in the main window. They usually perform properly in playing the timeline. The "optimize media" is certainly checked for import.

Jun 15, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom

Yes, they are RGB files. They appear as .bmp files in both the original media and the proxy file directories (of course there are no other transcoded files since they are all stills). I'm not sure what you mean by posting one of the files somewhere. The file size limit prevents me from uploading one here - they are all about 4mb in size, though when converted to .jpg they are only 500 kb.

Many thanks for your interest

Barry

Jun 15, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes - I've posted one of the files to Dropbox and it appears perfectly in picture form on my IPad. So it seems there is nothing wrong with the files. I'm even more puzzled now! I'll try to upload a smaller (less than 2mb) file here. The files I am using in the project, which is a kind of family history using stills, are a complete mix of types - tif, jpg, Canon raw(cr2), psd and bmp. Some, including, I suspect, many of the .bmps are scans from old prints, as this one.User uploaded file

.bmp files do not show as icons in the event library - I am having to convert them to .jpg to achieve a display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.