Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut 7 and Compressor - HD to SD title problem

Hello,

It's my first time here, but I'm using professionally Final Cut Studio for a few years now.

I was finishing a project and my working sequence was XDCam HD 1920x1080, but it's for TV and I needed to put the final on SD DVCam tapes. So I decided not to render a nested sequence, but to export it first to DV Pal (making a DVD later would be faster, etc.). I sent a sequence to Compressor and chose DV PAL Anamorphic. Everything went fine, except I had some subtitles in the project for what I used Final Cut Text and these turn out very bad.

This is how it should have looked:

User uploaded file

This is how it turned out:

User uploaded file

Why did Final Cut interpret titles like this and what to do in the future to avoid this?

Thanks!

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 2:55 AM

5 replies

Jun 15, 2012 7:42 AM in response to vuk-wolf

Final Cut did not interpret the titles incorrectly.

You are exporting HD 1920x1080 video which is square pixels and then asking Compressor to make it rectangular pixels for PAL SD 720x576(whether it is 16x9 or 4x3). The HD to SD conversion is causing the distortion of the titles. This should help explain it better

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/gerard_rick/pixel_madness.php

I would try adding the titles after it has been converted to PAL SD. I prefer Natress(a plugin for FC around $100/70 Euros) over Compressor for PAL to SD conversion.

If you can't buy Nattress here is one approach:

*Export without titles and convert to PAL in Compressor
*reimport into PAL 16x9 SD sequence

*add your titles from the HD sequence(your titles will have to be resized)

*open a title in the motion tab and adjust scale & distort to get the best possible compromise(copy & paste setting to all other titles-you may have to manually check each one as some may have special needs)

*export and compress for DVD

This does involve extra work but there is no simple answer for converting to SD without compromises.

Jun 15, 2012 8:27 AM in response to vuk-wolf

You are running into a squeez/stretch issue that creeps up on you when you send your Sequence to compressor. The titles are not being squeezed when rendered over the picture. As such, they are displaying too wide (that is, the picture looks correct but the titles look too wide) in the finished result.

For more direct control of your down conversion to SD, create a new DV-PAL Sequence and nest your HD Sequence into that. FCP will probably letterbox your footage. If so, you'll need to manually adjust the Distort property to get widescreen; however, your titles should scale with the picture by taking this approach.

You will also need to keep an eye on your field rendering.

-Warren

Final Cut 7 and Compressor - HD to SD title problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.