Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt and Firewire

I am pondering the idea of getting one of the new MacBook Pros with the Retina Display. However: they only have Thunderbolt and USB ports, and I have a Firewire interface. As far as I can see, there are no low-end Thunderbolt audio interfaces yet. Can I hook up my Firewire device to the Thunderbolt port somehow, or will I have to ditch it for a USB one?

MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 3:45 AM

12 replies

Jun 15, 2012 4:24 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

Apple announced both a Thunderbolt to Ethernet, and Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adaptor during WWDC. the FireWire adaptor doesn't seem to be available yet, but the ethernet version is US$29:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A

perhaps the FW adaptor will be the same, and with a combination of 800 to 400 adaptor it'll work?

think it's worth the effort?

(good luck if you go for it, i'm holding out for a new mac pro and retina cinema display!)

Jun 15, 2012 6:07 AM in response to Christoph Drösser

Congratulations Christoph on going big. That new MBP / R is a look into the near future for apple and the not so near future for the competition.

I'm expecting a new 13" Air to arrive today. I have a SSD that I had in my old Macbook sitting in a usb 3 enclosure. I would like to drop it in a thunderbolt enclosure someday. I sure hope third parties will start showing interest in Thunderbolt until then looks like usb 3 is the new FireWire.

Thunderbolt and Firewire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.