Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro in moist conditions: won't turn on anymore?

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to start this thread to ask a few questions about a current problem. I bought a macbook pro in January of this year and love it. Problem is, the laptop stopped turning on just yesterday. I am currently in the UK on business and the laptop stopped working, so I brought it to the local Apple Store here. They opened it up and found that there was corrosion on the board and that there was water damage on the laptop. I have never spilt any sort of liquid on this machine directly, nor have I had it in direct contact with any water, juices, etc. This is a brand new laptop with about 20 work hours on it. I brought it out to work 3 weeks ago, and work in the Offshore Oil Industry in Canada, and frequently use my laptop for work and personal use while i'm out there. Being on a vessel in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, it IS a moist environment, but would this have any affect on the performance of the laptop? I am devestated to have paid so much money for this product, and only get 4 months out of it, only to have it stop working....

Any suggestions on a solution for this?

Justin Fancy

justin.fancy@huskyenergy.com

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:40 AM

13 replies

Jun 15, 2012 4:57 AM in response to wjosten

Definately not the answer nor response I was looking for, but I completely understand that a macbook pro is not made for these types of conditions. What I meant by taking it offshore was that I used it in my cabin at nighttime to use Facetime to call home, which worked great. I never had it outside in weather at all.

It just puzzles me that there is corrosion on the board,because this laptop has been taken care of and barely used. I've always used my case I have for it, and its never left laying around anywhere.

Jun 15, 2012 5:19 AM in response to justinfancy

justinfancy wrote:

So what are you saying? I should just whoop dee doo, and say ahhh tough luck, so long $1500 bucks? Just because I brought this machine a harsh environment?

Sorry to say but it certainly looks that way. If Apple found corrosion and water damage inside the unit they are not going to fix it under the warranty. Apple does not have and does not sell any type of accidental damage warranty. So anything that happens to it other then manufacturering defect is not covered in any way.

Your problem is clearly not a manufacturering defect.

Jun 15, 2012 6:39 AM in response to justinfancy

Having used electronic devices in a marine environment which were not designed for said conditions, there are a couple of things that may prolong the life span of the device. Avoid using them out in the open, rather use them in 'dead air' zones. That means as far away from ports and ventilators as possible where air flow is at a minimum. When finished using the MBP, slip in a sleeve or a case or better yet both.

Ciao.

Jun 15, 2012 7:51 AM in response to justinfancy

Three observations:

Another poster wrote that the MBP was sitting by an open window in a cool/moist air stream (not marine). It showed moisture buildup inside the unit from drawing in moist air.

The Titanic, sitting on the bottom of the ocean more than a mile down in very cold wtaer will likely not exist within 100 years. Iron-eating bacteria and simple salt corrosion have destroyed the integrity of the steel so that it takes very little now to tear or collapse-into-dust large sections of the vessel.

And wjosten was just speaking the truth.

Feb 28, 2015 5:34 PM in response to justinfancy

So as ORGELTHORPE says you could be very judicious about where you use the computer.

I also wonder whether a hydrophobic treatment like this would be helpful:

http://inhabitat.com/liquipels-hydrophobic-nanocoating-makes-gadgets-completely- waterproof/

There have been many of these show up recently.

You could also create a special environment using a dissicant such as silica gel and a forced air environment to dry, desalinize the air before the computer sees it.

There are companies that apparently deal with this all the time:

http://www.way-technovation.com/

A small consumer dehumidifier might actually do the job. Don't know about the power on an oil rig.

The worst case I ever saw was a client who lived downwind from the active volcano in Hawaii. Air high in sulphuric and nitric acid turns out to be very detrimental to electronics and humans.

Macbook Pro in moist conditions: won't turn on anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.