Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes loses location of files every time a network connection is interrupted

I keep all my media files on a RAID attached to my router. I have a MacBook, and I don't want to fill up my boot drive with music files, nor do I want all my music on an external hard drive that has to be physically attached to my laptop (lack of portability, inconvenient to eject every time I want to take the laptop somewhere, hard drives fail, etc.).

The problem is that every so often, I'll get the message "network connection interrupted." I'm hardwired to the router at home via Ethernet, but for whatever reason, sometimes it just pops up the network connection interrupted message.

If I'm listening to iTunes when that happens, iTunes will stop playing the song, and an exclamation mark will appear to say "hey, I can't find that file where I thought it would be." What's far worse is that iTunes will then go on to try and play the next song, and the next, and the next, and so on down the line, placing an exclamation mark next to each one as it fails to find the volume where they're stored. In this way, entire albums or even entire artists will get "lost" to iTunes.

The next time I go to listen to a song that has the exclamation mark, if my network connection is established, I can double-click, and it will play just fine as it looks for the volume and finds it. Unfortunately, I have to double-click each and every song individually. I can't just click "play album," or even double-click one song and let it go on to the next. I have to go to every song that's "lost," double-click them one at a time, and then they'll play, and be usable by services that connect to iTunes, such as iMovie, or the Remote app on my iPhone.

Is there any way to prevent this situation from happening? Either by telling iTunes not to declare a song "lost" just because it can't find it one time, or to tell it to look in the last place it saw it, so that when the network connection is active, it will just go ahead and play the song?

As it is, it seems that my only choices are to keep all my music on my boot drive or an external plugged directly into the laptop, or to stop using iTunes for my music. Neither of those solutions would be positive outcomes for me.

My setup is a MacBook running 10.6.8, a 5th generation Airport Extreme running 7.6.1, and a Drobo RAID attached to the network.

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:38 AM

Thre's nothing in iTunes you can configure. There are scripts that could be used to repair links broken in your scenario, but not ones I would want to have to run regularly. I see a number of posts here where people have issues with iTunes having problem with NAS. It seems to work find if you just attach an external drive via USB or Firewire but once you start getting fancy with NAS and RAID, problems arise. You'll have to see if there's something you can do on the networking side to stop this, or you'll just have to quit iTuneswhen the network drops and restart.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 7:38 AM in response to jayson23

Thre's nothing in iTunes you can configure. There are scripts that could be used to repair links broken in your scenario, but not ones I would want to have to run regularly. I see a number of posts here where people have issues with iTunes having problem with NAS. It seems to work find if you just attach an external drive via USB or Firewire but once you start getting fancy with NAS and RAID, problems arise. You'll have to see if there's something you can do on the networking side to stop this, or you'll just have to quit iTuneswhen the network drops and restart.

Jun 15, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Limnos

I suspect that, unfortunately, you may be right that there's no way to use iTunes without keeping files on a boot drive or a fragile external drive.

Hopefully I can find a workaround, but I have a sinking feeling that the only real answer is going to be ditching iTunes altogether. I suspect that Apple is interested in moving people entirely to the cloud anyway, so they're not likely to ever spend any time making iTunes work for people that have laptops and like to own their music.

iTunes loses location of files every time a network connection is interrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.