Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of text and part of pictures when burned on DVD

I have made a documentation and transferred it to DVD. When watching the DVDs I find that the pictures are cropped. Most of the time it does not matter, it matters however, when part of the text or important parts of pictures are missing. And this is very annoying as I have spent a lot of time in creating this documentation.

When watching the project on the computer or via AppleTV everything is fine.

Is there a way of finding out or calculating how much will be lost prior to burning the DVD or while making the project in iMovie?

An answer and hopefully a solution to this is much appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:24 PM

Hi

This usually have two sides

• The way it was done (the DVD)

• The way it's played (CRT-TV or Flat-Screen TV)

A. The size of the picture can not be shrinked in iMovie. In iDVD one can set TV-Safe area to keep texts on menus inside a secure border. If this is not enough then by putting the movie into a SlideShow - TV-safe area will shrink the picture so that it can be viewed on a CTR-TV to 100%

B. CRT-TVs has a built in function called Over-Scan to prevent black framing/bordering. This can not easily be changed and if so need the Repair-man/woman to make specific calibration to this specific TV-set.

Flat-screen TV usually can show full picture - but need to be set to do this (4x3, Auto wide, Wide-screen etc)

There is a last resort - but with it's own pain

• FinalCut (any version) Can change the picture size up and down to a safe size. BUT this means a sever cost AND most probably a big step in the learning curve. (BUT When comfortable in FinalCut Express or Pro - the freedom is immense)

Yours Bengt W

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2012 12:24 PM in response to thlmuc

Hi

This usually have two sides

• The way it was done (the DVD)

• The way it's played (CRT-TV or Flat-Screen TV)

A. The size of the picture can not be shrinked in iMovie. In iDVD one can set TV-Safe area to keep texts on menus inside a secure border. If this is not enough then by putting the movie into a SlideShow - TV-safe area will shrink the picture so that it can be viewed on a CTR-TV to 100%

B. CRT-TVs has a built in function called Over-Scan to prevent black framing/bordering. This can not easily be changed and if so need the Repair-man/woman to make specific calibration to this specific TV-set.

Flat-screen TV usually can show full picture - but need to be set to do this (4x3, Auto wide, Wide-screen etc)

There is a last resort - but with it's own pain

• FinalCut (any version) Can change the picture size up and down to a safe size. BUT this means a sever cost AND most probably a big step in the learning curve. (BUT When comfortable in FinalCut Express or Pro - the freedom is immense)

Yours Bengt W

Jun 15, 2012 3:23 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Tack Bengt, men det var inte mycket jag förstod!

It seems rather complicated, at least for me.

I make the project in iMovie in 16:9 then it is rendered and prepared to make it available in iDVD. At that point the size is set.

I use a flat-screen TV and have tried all settings with no satisfactory result.

Even when using titles, they are cut off left or right unless one moves them to the centre.

There should be a warning in iMovie, when picture or text exceed the frame.

Anyway, thanks very much for your reply.

Regards

Therese L.

Jun 15, 2012 9:41 PM in response to thlmuc

Oh vad det är svårt att vara tillräckligt tydlig. Men jag lär mig.

When watching the project on the computer or via AppleTV everything is fine.

Is there a way of finding out or calculating how much will be lost prior to burning the DVD or while making the project in iMovie?

This let me assume that all was OK in iMovie.

So You do a 16x9 project

• What version of iMovie do You use ?

• Did You set up iDVD as a 16x9 project

• the 16x9 size has to be set at two places in iDVD

first when starting a brand new project

then under Project/Project info [Shift+cmd+I] - here too set 16x9

I do NEVER use - Share to iDVD - as resulting DVD will lose even more in quality

(iMovie'08 to 11 - are not tools of choice as non of them can deliver 100% interlaced SD-Video over to iDVD but discards every second line resulting in a loss in picture quality - I use iMovie HD6 or FinalCut (any version) as they can deliver 100%)

But if I must use iM'08 - 11 then I do - Share to Media Browser - AND as Large (not HD or other resolution as this too costs in resulting quality)

So if You can describe from what Camera was used (Video Codec) to the final DVD - step by step - we can see where the work flow differs.

Med många varma hälsningar och förhoppningar om en fin Midsommar (sommar) - Bengt W

Jun 16, 2012 12:31 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Oh vad det är svårt att vara tillräckligt tydlig. Men jag lär mig. Det är min oförmåga att begripa!

This let me assume that all was OK in iMovie. YES

So You do a 16x9 project

• What version of iMovie do You use ? iMovie '11 9.0.4 (1634)

• Did You set up iDVD as a 16x9 project YES

• the 16x9 size has to be set at two places in iDVD Have done that

first when starting a brand new project

then under Project/Project info [Shift+cmd+I] - here too set 16x9

So if You can describe from what Camera was used (Video Codec) to the final DVD - step by step - we can see where the work flow differs.

Camera: LUMIX TZ7

Download material to iPhoto and/or iMovie - rework the pics in iPhoto but also in Adobe photoshop. It is usually the pics I have reworked in Adobe photoshop that are cut.

Then I start a new project in iMovie and add the pics and videos. When I have pics which I do not want to be cropped or with Ken Burns effect I use the setting "fit the frame" (mine is in German and says "anpassen").

I do not share to iDVD, but finalize the project in iMovie, which - after many hours - provides all sizes.

Then I open a new project in iDVD in 16:9 and insert the rendered film which is then available in medium, large, 720p and 1080p. I chose the 1080p.

Then I make an Image Copy and burn the DVD.

Så gör jag, kan du skriver direkt till mig?

Hälsningar

Therese L.

Jun 16, 2012 7:15 AM in response to thlmuc

Just a social comment of no use to the Question

Så gör jag, kan du skriver direkt till mig?

Hälsningar

Therese L.

Skulle jag gärna - men då måste du lämna någon mail-adress - Och gör du det här så kommer moderator att ta bort den omedelbart. Så jag hinner inte att fånga den - Men om du gör den tillgänglig i din profil så kan jag se den.

Annars kan du slå på Gula Sidorna i Sverige så hittar du mig. Praktiskt med ett unikt efternamn.

med vänliga hälsningar från Göteborg - Bengt W

Loss of text and part of pictures when burned on DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.