Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to capture 720/25p video via JVC BR-HD50 deck in FCP 7?

MY ISSUE:

I`m using FCP 7.0.3 and try to capture 720/25p video (shot with JVC GY-HD100) via the JVC BR-HD50 deck.

When selecting "capture" in FCP the deck starts to run but my capture screen stays all black and no video ist recorded.

What could be the problem?

MY SETTINGS:

My FCP Audio/Video settings:

Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1280x720 25p 48 kHz

Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422

Device Control Preset: HDV FireWire 25 fps

BR-HD50 settings:

connected to iMac via Firewire 400 cable

IEEE 1394: HDV

Counter: TC

Input Select: HDV/DV

The "50" indicator light is on

Computer:

2009 iMac

2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

OSX 10.7.4 (Lion).

Thanks for your help!

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:47 AM

This usually happens when the capture settings in FCP do not match the settings of the footage on the source tape.

-Warren

6 replies

Jun 15, 2012 9:06 AM in response to Warren Heaton

Thanks for the quick reply.

Warren Heaton wrote:

This usually happens when the capture settings in FCP do not match the settings of the footage on the source tape.

-Warren

The FCP settings seem to be allright. Because when capturing form my GY-HD100 camera I don't have any issues (except to some missing frames).

I'm wondering a bit about the "50" indicator light. Does it say anything about the fps?

As I don't have an external monitor for my BR-HD50 at the moment I'm not able to switch this setting.

On the other hand the manual says I should be fine with this setting:

User uploaded file

I also thought about updating the deck's firmware. Which, due to no monitor, is impossible right now.

Jun 15, 2012 9:54 AM in response to David Mclaine

David Mclaine wrote:

Hi,

I believe the indicator "50" is the 50Hz HD video signal which is correct for your format.

I think maybe the decks firmware/ drivers need updating for Lion.

DM

I hope this is gonna solve the issue.

The only firmware update I found on the JVC website is this one:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/software_dow.jsp?model_id=MDL101540&feature_i d=17

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about version number or release date. But I suppose it's pre-lion.

Anyway, as you both seem to confirm my settings I will have to try an update. As mentioned I can't update atm, next chance is on monday when I get an external monitor.

Jul 2, 2012 2:50 AM in response to _matye

Hi there,

the problem seems to be solved. It looks like it did some very stupid mistake: I tried to capture tapes recorded with my Sony HV30 camcorder. I could have bet they are 720p. But in fact they are 1080i and I cannot change the HV30's settings. The BR-HD50 is only able to capture 720p format.

Capturing tapes recorded with my JVC GY-HD100 works perfectly now.

However updating the firmware is not possible because the way described at http://support.jvc.com/pro/firmwareupgrade/versionentry.jsp?modelId=16 doesn't work for me. It says "Press the [HOLD] button to display the complete version set."

When I push the HOLD button nothing happens.

But as I am able to capture now I don't mind.

Thanks

How to capture 720/25p video via JVC BR-HD50 deck in FCP 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.