Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm thinking about getting the MBP Retina, but....

I'm really considering upgrading from my 15" MacBookPro mid-2009 but I am concerned about how I can best utilize the limited number of ports that I would have.

Here is what I currently have attached to my MBP:

• WIN TV 950 so that I can watch my local TV channels (via USB)
  • 1 TB Iomega eGo for my Time Machine backup (via FireWire 800)
  • 500 GB WD Mybook portable for the TV programs I record and for testing Mountain Lion (attached via FireWire to the Iomega drive)
  • my Ipad and ipod touch I also plug into a USB port

Because I still use optical media (CDs and DVDs) I will be getting the Apple USB Superdrive

I am thinking of replacing the 2 Firewire drives with a 2 TB USB 3.0 drive,since there is no Firewire port, but I'm still short on USB ports.

Any suggestions on how I can connect these peripherals to the new MBP Retina?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:25 AM

10 replies

Jun 15, 2012 9:52 PM in response to Courcoul

I saw a post on Cult of Mac that the old MacBook Pro configured identically to a MacBook Pro Retina is actually more expensive. The link to the article is below:

http://www.cultofmac.com/173611/old-macbook-pro-cost-more-than-retina-macbook-pr o-with-same-specs/

Also, in order to take advantage of Mountain Lion features like "Power Nap" you need a flash drive.

I don't plan on upgrading any of the hardware in the new MBP, but I do plan on keeping the unit at least 3 years.

I do have an Airport Extreme, so I'll be able to plug a new external hard drive into that, so that will help.

The reason I like a portable external hard drive is that I can then take it whereever I go.

Jun 15, 2012 10:08 PM in response to jws1982

I haven't really had such a 'closed' system of a Mac since I bought my Mac 512K. Even with the Mac Plus and SE you could crack the case to add more RAM, and in the SE even add a hard drive or second floppy drive. I haven't seen the MBP-R side-by-side with a 'standard' MBP but I'm happy with my more 'user-friendly' upgradable MBP (though I do wish that I had USB 3 ports!).

Regards,

Clinton

Jun 15, 2012 10:27 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I'm not handy with changing hardware, so updating the innards of a system doesn't matter to me. I just saw on Mac Rumors that Apple will be charging $199 to replace the battery on the MBP Retina.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/apple-to-charge-199-for-battery-replacement- on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/

I realize on the old MacBook Pro you could easily upgrade the RAM and hard drive, but that's not for me.

I'm thinking about getting the MBP Retina, but....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.